• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

finally bent my subframe, will be looking for used parts

went for a beautiful spring ride with some nice fresh pow :Rockon:
, was cutting a top ridge just before you get to the prime, and bamm hidden 2 inches under the wind blown snow a square nugget. :die
bit into the ski just before the skag, snapped the lower spindle, ripped the ski off, snapped the shock in half and bent the left side of the sub frame(i hope) back hard enough to push the right side forward.

so ill be looking for some good used parts that some of you might have took off..

left side spindle.
left ski.
front bumper
possible a arms
stock yamaha coil over shock

wrapped a ratchet strap around the ski bolt and spindle to get it off the mtn, poor sled didnt feel very new while i was driven it home. :drink:
not how i wanted to end my season :o|

Add subframe to your list...sounds like you hit pretty hard.

Seems like there is a lot of custom metalwork goin on this season.

Sorry to hear about it.

Unfortunately they all will bend something if you hit a piece of mother earth like that.

Cant tell you how many Polaris Bulkheads and tunnels I bent back in the Trailing Arm days. Not to mention trailing arms, foot rests, radius rods, hell whole sleds. Rebuilt to old 93 XLT from collisions with the ground twice.

Just been lucky so far with the Nytro, but sure my time is coming. I saw somewhere that a aftermarket chromemoly subframe was available. But that makes me wonder what else will bend then.

I am really curious how many people are replacing their sf this summer?

I am also curious where they are actually bending?
Not so much the guys that plowed into a tree or rock, but the the people like me who have never hit anything hard but still find one side pushed back an 1".

I have hit some objects I would say pretty hard straight on the ski and nothing bent. And last winter while riding in MT did a deep turn and nicked something in the snow and she bent.

It almost seems like a softer side impact on the ski will get It to bend?

I would like to maybe stiffin it a little if I can figure out the "sweet spot" in the sf.

If you hit hard enough something is going to give but for those "I didn't hit anything" bent subframes go to: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=87758. From what I've seen so far it looks like the lower a-arm mounts bend and the center plate that Yamaha added does nothing to prevent it. The rear of the lower a-arm mounts high in the tower with little support. The only support on top is from the steering pivot which I believe is the problem. When a ski takes a hit most of the force is absorbed through the lower arm and the rear mount rotates at the steering pivot mount. The support plate that I designed adds the needed strength and should prevent the low impact bending problem.

Back