• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Finger talk 2.6" and 3" Powerclaw

Tricky Nick

Going Vertical
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper MTX 162 Turbo
Back up sled AC M7
Maybe I have too much time on my hands but I was looking at the difference between the 2.6 and 3" Powerclaws and I see the 3" does not have the little fingers across from the paddles like the 2.6 does. What if someone cut off all the little fingers on the 2.6? Would it trench less, float better, grip the powder better? You could also loose a good amount of rotating mass. This thought came from reading a thread on a different forum on how back in the day people would cut out whole rows of fingers on the old finger tracks to keep them from trenching and allow them to gain more traction in the snow. Any thoughts?

_35_zpsetttjlnq.jpg

img_5_zpswqhqn7ep.png

Nick. Don't the fingers give you a better trail traction? The 3" seems like they were trying to save weight and don't care about the on trail manners.
So far I,m really happy with my 2.6 PCI, does everything well.

For me trail manners is not of real importance. Now if I lost down hill traction that would be bad. Speeding down a mountain at full boar with your fingers clenching the brake lever can greatly increase the pucker factor

We have both, a 153 powerclaw 2.6 and a 162 camoplast X3 with 3 inch paddles. If I had it to do again I would go 162 powerclaw 2.6 as the 3 inch paddles fold over too easy on any snow other than pure powder. On set up snow the 3 inch paddles will make your azz pucker coming down a steep hill....at least that is my experience after a season of riding both.

I see what you're saying but my question is are the fingers on the 2.6 needed

The fingers are there for improved traction in firmer spring type snow. The idea behind having both paddles and fingers on the same track, is to have the track perform well in a wider range of snow conditions. The 3" track, is primarily designed as a powder track, so the fingers are removed to save weight.

As far as which is better, it really depends on the type of snow you most commonly ride on. For example we tend to have more wet/heavy snow here in Western WA so the 2.6" works very well in our snow.

The 162x3 is actually lighter than the 162x2.6. Yes it won't have the spring snow traction but the 3" in powder is a monster.
The 2.6 is a great all around track that hooks up very well, although I'm gonna give the 3.0 a go next season.

We have both, a 153 powerclaw 2.6 and a 162 camoplast X3 with 3 inch paddles. If I had it to do again I would go 162 powerclaw 2.6 as the 3 inch paddles fold over too easy on any snow other than pure powder. On set up snow the 3 inch paddles will make your azz pucker coming down a steep hill....at least that is my experience after a season of riding both.

That's interesting. I would've thought Colorado and Utah would have similar snow conditions, but I've seen the opposite results. My brother has a '14 Cat M8, Dad has a '14 Doo XM and me with the Viper. Neither me or my brother float (plane out) nearly as well as well as Dads XM with the Camo 2.5. Same results coming downhill, XM is a third the speed of the CAT chassis. Mine feels like a toboggan to be honest. Needless to say I guess, I have a X3 to install this summer :)

That's interesting. I would've thought Colorado and Utah would have similar snow conditions, but I've seen the opposite results. My brother has a '14 Cat M8, Dad has a '14 Doo XM and me with the Viper. Neither me or my brother float (plane out) nearly as well as well as Dads XM with the Camo 2.5. Same results coming downhill, XM is a third the speed of the CAT chassis. Mine feels like a toboggan to be honest. Needless to say I guess, I have a X3 to install this summer :)

Ping me if you might want a 162, 3 inch camo X3 as I would happily remove it for a 162, 2.6 powerclaw. I had to give up spring riding here as the X3 folds over so bad in any snow other than powder (in my opinion after riding a season on one)

Back