• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front end full of snow

no kidding

DSC03090-1.jpg

Pre-filter material over the two hood vents and side panel vents. Duct tape over the vents in front of the oil tank and the vent under the headlight. Sticky back Foam on both sides of the headlight. The above will keep 99% of snow out. I rode all day today in powder and didn't get hardly any snow inside. You can buy the pre-filter material in an 18" square from Ski-Doo which is enough to do all four vents.

First pic shows the four vents with pre-filter material
front-2.jpg

Second shows the foam around the headlight
foam2.jpg

I ride in deep powder a lot with my Nytro. I have never overheated. I don't mind snow everywhere. We love it when we find untouched 4 plus feet of powder in Alaska :)

The snow in the engine bay doesn't bother me half as much as the snow on the running boards does. Riding in deep snow with my Nytro 121" snow will shoot straight up thru the holes in the boards. It is not a deep snow sled in my opinion, at least not the RTX

Nikolai said:
Pre-filter material over the two hood vents and side panel vents.

front-2.jpg

In addition to the pre filter material as described above, I also used it on the grilled section at the bottom of the head light.

If you look at the pic above you will see all kinds of spots where the nose piece has parts like the bumper going through it. I found that sealing these spots on the inside with clear silicone caulking helped a lot.

Switch to a wider ski. I use a C@A ski but the simmons are a good ski to. The yamaha snowmobiles are not very well balanced front to back and tend to be nose heavy. They are harder to ride in deep snow because they dive all the time. I had the same problem you had this weekend with the heavy wet snow in the ditches. I was able to keep the front end on top of the snow most of the time since I had the C&A ski. The stock yamaha skis are to narrow and throw alot of snow back at the machine.

Thats like shooting yourself in th efoot, because the radiator is under the hood. You need max airflow for that too. The prefilter is good, but blocks some air. can't win!

I have never had an issue with overheating yet. I don't ride trails though so it may overheat with a lot of trail riding. Surprisingly the pre filter flows a lot of air as long as you clear the snow from it.

Back