• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro handling

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I have been out of the Nytro game for a while now and am wondering if you guys have found any new ways to make the front end better. That was the main downside with my Nytro XTX in the day.
The reason I ask is because beside the front end I liked the rest of the sled.
There also seems to be some of these sleds coming up for sale at cheap money so now might be the time for a new project.

Shim skis and make sure it has all new ball joints and put in some good skis. You can also change the upper Arms to HyGear Sli-cast.

Do they still make those?
I worked on one this year and it brought back the memories of the huge steering effort those sleds had.
I always thought if you could put a different spindle on the front to move the arms farther apart the sled may handle a little better. I guess you are limited by the mounting point on the bulkhead.

I do remember shimming my ski's, Hygear springs and revalve and also a spindle from independent guy that lowered the arms and the ride height. The spindle didn't work for me, only added to the steering effort, among other side effects.

Do they still make those?
I worked on one this year and it brought back the memories of the huge steering effort those sleds had.
I always thought if you could put a different spindle on the front to move the arms farther apart the sled may handle a little better. I guess you are limited by the mounting point on the bulkhead.
Not sure. Maybe they don’t make them any longer. It’s sad how fast this stuff that does work is no longer available.

You could build a great handling Nytro still. I don’t think I could make mine any better than it is now, with all of the work I’ve done. So, here’s my list:

Skinz Concept 42” a-arm kit with Float 2’s
C&A pro ADX skis
Polaris Axys RMK spindles, cut to use yam ski rubber. ( this is like shimming the rubber, which puts more pressure at the rear of the ski for stable steering. Axys spindle also has less steering effort.
Schmidt Bros swaybar ( flatter cornering, and greatly reduces that side to side wobble letting off the gas/hitting the brake at high speeds)
Skidoo rMotion 120” skid with 121” track.( 20Lbs lighter and rides WAY better in all conditions.)

The hard choice will be wether or not a modded Nytro is more affordable/better than a stock SR Viper that needs no handling mods besides a good pair of skis.
I do love my Nytro and plan on keeping it as my primary sled, but also know that a SR Viper or Sidewinder are on my radar at some point.

Last edited:
Are the RMK spindles different than the regular Axys spindles, and if yes, how so?
I like the direction you went with the exception of the Floats, I have never been a fan of those shocks. Maybe a different shock like the Fox 1.5 zero with the spherical bearings will work?
I get what you are saying about cost vs. return. I have seen some really good deals on these sleds lately BUT if you need to put another $2500 in to a 15-year-old sled to make it what you want, are you better off with a newer model?
I already have a Sidewinder, so this would be just a project see how well I could make it go.
I need to stop reading the classified ads.......

Are the RMK spindles different than the regular Axys spindles, and if yes, how so?
I like the direction you went with the exception of the Floats, I have never been a fan of those shocks. Maybe a different shock like the Fox 1.5 zero with the spherical bearings will work?
I get what you are saying about cost vs. return. I have seen some really good deals on these sleds lately BUT if you need to put another $2500 in to a 15-year-old sled to make it what you want, are you better off with a newer model?
I already have a Sidewinder, so this would be just a project see how well I could make it go.
Stain, just a heads up, some used Nytros could have a slightly bent front tube frame which causes trail to change on both sides.
Either use a tape measure and measure from the rear axle to the ball joints on both sides to compare, or stand at front of sled looking down at A arms and compare from side to side.
Find a straight one.

You could build a great handling Nytro still. I don’t think I could make mine any better than it is now, with all of the work I’ve done. So, here’s my list:

Skinz Concept 42” a-arm kit with Float 2’s
C&A pro ADX skis
Polaris Axys RMK spindles, cut to use yam ski rubber. ( this is like shimming the rubber, which puts more pressure at the rear of the ski for stable steering. Axys spindle also has less steering effort.
Schmidt Bros swaybar ( flatter cornering, and greatly reduces that side to side wobble letting off the gas/hitting the brake at high speeds)
Skidoo rMotion 120” skid with 121” track.( 20Lbs lighter and rides WAY better in all conditions.)

The hard choice will be wether or not a modded Nytro is more affordable/better than a stock SR Viper that needs no handling mods besides a good pair of skis.
I do love my Nytro and plan on keeping it as my primary sled, but also know that a SR Viper or Sidewinder are on my radar at some point.
Wow, 20 lbs difference from skid to skid.

If I had hung on to my modded Nytro I would have removed the aftermarket spindles STAIN has mentioned and given the Polaris spindles a whirl. I loved that sled in the woods, but spend far more time cruising way up North these days so found my way back to a EPS Apex and love it for what it is and how I ride most of the time.

Axys trail and Axys RMK mountain spindles are different. RMK are taller.

Maybe we should "recreate/copy" the RACE front end?! The Nytro is more reliable than the Yamacat...

Attachments

• IMG_4650.jpeg
    IMG_4650.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 56
@bjowett talked about recreating this years back but it never came to be. It’s too bad the big Y didn’t push the development of this front end into production. With a longer wheelbase and decent front end geometry the Nytro really was a terrific sled. I’m still considering shoehorning a four banger into this chassis with some updates one day.

A Mountaintech a-arm kit stopped me from selling my Nytro due to terrible handling characteristics. I had turned my ski bumpers around, shimmed my skis, tried different ski models, and tweaked my suspension to no end. The new a-arms and change in geometry made the biggest difference.

Back