• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front end Mod - Results

Wow 4deg more caster or do they mean 4deg total?A 2 or 3deg change is very noticeable in a ATV would imagine same in a sled.Heims in upper or lower arms along with modding the upper balljoint could accomplish something very close to this other than the 11mm? change to the ski mount.

So 2.5mm will do it ehh i took mine off today and brought them to the machine shop and he kinda chuckled when he showed me how little 2.5mm is.

I'm wondering how effective this mod really is since changing camber should only effect turning, not stability. Changing the caster would have an effect on stability.

The other thing, there are plenty of guys complaining that their 09's dart, don't handle and aren't stable at speed so it seems the majority are still searching for the fix.

i di mod the caster and the stabily is very good now
only grind the back of the arm and shimthe front with 4-5 washers to compensate

Pretty cool! Thanks for the link. I vaguely recall guys talking about this mod last year. I can see how shimming the top a-arm rearward, the caster could be reduced. You were pleased with the results? How much material did you take off the back of the arm?

I can see the camber mod to the upper ball joints helping out with cornering, but I don't see it having an effect on high speed stability. What I'm thinking is the only significant geometric difference between the '09 front end and the '08 is the spindles and negative camber. The '08 can be modded to get the same camber settings as the '09. I wonder if the a-arm caster mod would duplicate the caster change Yamaha made with the new spindles? It is definitely far less expensive to do a little grinding and by some shims than purchasing two new '09 spindles.

took out about a 1/4" of material and VERY please whith the result MUCH more stable
NO more darting with this, shim the skis rubber "sole" and 1/4" toe out!!!

dont forget to ONLY grind the a-arms not the long metal rod in the middle

When you ground your a-arms, did you get into the weld? I was looking at my front end today, but it was when I rode the sled and ice and snow obscured the ends of the a-arms some what. A 1/4" should definitely have an effect on the caster. What I like is you can shim it back to stock if you don't care for it. I'm going to have to look into this mod a lot more. ;)!

i cant corner in the turns good at all but I built a sway bar and that helped out a lot but still dont get into the corners like I want to. they dart on my. Can I do this mod on my 07 Phazer?

Re: Ball Joint

00-NUKE said:
I had 3.5MM machined off of my ball joints and it made a world of difference. Mine was done by a company out of Princeton,MN called KSI (Krafty Solutions Inc.) Their Number is (763)639-2469. They rebuild shocks as well.

What did it do a world of difference at? Cornering or high speed stability? In any case, how was your rear skid set up?

I did the .100 facing on the ball joints last year and did the oilite bushing swap at the same time. I also run with out the sway bar, but I've added the MOD skis. Yesterday we rode on icy frozen chewed up roads and trails coming back from playing in the deep. Cruising speeds were between 40 and 60 mph. Got her up to 85 a couple times dragging with my partner who rides a summit 800- NO DARTING!!!!

Attachments

• Mt.Bachelor 3-14-10.JPG
    Mt.Bachelor 3-14-10.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 127
Out of curiosity, I compared some Polaris IQ spindles a buddy had lying around up to the side of my Nytro spindles. You could really see the difference in the amount of trail the IQ spindles had compared to my '08. They looked like they'd bolt on with little modification, but the tie rod mounts were much, much higher. For that reason alone I didn't try to see if they'd bolt on. I don't think the Nytro has enough upward travel clearance for the tie rods to move when the suspension cycles upward.

Back