• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

"Frozen" rear suspension on a 2010 Vector LTX Gt

hank

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'16 RsVector XTX 1.75
'07 Phazer GT
'16 Phazer RTX
I have a 2010 Vector LTX with ~3400 miles.

The rear skid is essentially stuck in one position, won't extend -- won't compress.

There doesn't seem to be any visual damage to the skid.

At 3000 miles, I had the sled in for service and the dealer pulled the skid to change the hyfax. In the process, the mechanic damaged one of the boots that covers the dial adjust linkage and they replaced the boot as part of the service.

Any idea what has happened and is it possible that faulty service is the source of the problem?

Thanks.

Sounds like the shock may be frozen, have you had it in a heated environment then back in the cold?
I experienced a similar thing with my sled once, had it in the shop overnight( heated) when I took it home and put it in my shed( unheated) I experienced the same thing next ride. Took 5-10 minutes to free up.

radianguy said:
Sounds like the shock may be frozen

I'd agree.
Dump a pitcher of hot water on it and see if it frees up. Works for me.
If that's the problem; the oil is contaminated with water and needs a change.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I've had the sled in my heated garage since my last ride 2 weeks ago so frozen was a poor choice of words.

The suspension is basically stuck in the middle of it's travel. I can pick up the rear bumper to where the suspension extends and the track leaves the ground but when I let go it falls right back down and even if I jump on the running boards there is very little give.

I suspect that the shock has failed but I'm unsure of the failure modes and really want to know what I'm getting into before I take it back to my sled "unfriendly" dealership.

I can see the transfer rod extend/retract - is this correct?

Yes, the dealer pulled the skid to replace the hyfax. I was tight on time and didn't know that was what they were going to do until I got the call that they damaged a boot reinstalling the skid :-(

Need help in Iowa.

The sled is sitting on dollies.

Happenned to my old Phazer. Shock was jammed in one position. Even when heated up, it would not move. Ended up replacing the shock as it was not serviceable.

hank said:

Take it off the dollies. Every year this same question/concern gets asked and that is all it ends up being.

I don't quite understand how it affects it with the dollies other than it slightly compressing the skid at that point, but it does make a difference.

Also curious when the last time this skid seen a grease gun?
I do mine usually after every local ride and it is surprising the amount of water you can push out each time.

Thanks Irv,

You were absolutely correct - it was due to the fact that the sled was sitting on dollies. Pulled the dollies out and back to normal.

I grease the sled 2 to 3 times during the season.

Hank

Irv said:
hank said:

Take it off the dollies. Every year this same question/concern gets asked and that is all it ends up being.

I don't quite understand how it affects it with the dollies other than it slightly compressing the skid at that point, but it does make a difference.

Also curious when the last time this skid seen a grease gun?
I do mine usually after every local ride and it is surprising the amount of water you can push out each time.
;)!

hank said:
Thanks Irv,

You were absolutely correct - it was due to the fact that the sled was sitting on dollies. Pulled the dollies out and back to normal.

I grease the sled 2 to 3 times during the season.

Hank
MCApex deserves the thanks Hank, I was just repeating what he said and through in my 2 cents based on what I have also heard.

Glad to hear that's all it was. ;)!

Back