• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

fuel injection surge tank?

Has anyone had problems with the fuel injected sled that when fuel gets low, and under hard accel, gets a real bad sputter due to fuel slosh away from pickup? I am currently building a surge tank similar to impulse setup but wondered what everyone else has done for this problem

I'm building one for my Doo1200, I'm also using some walbro pickups that shut when out of fuel. I'll try to post some pics when it's done to give you an idea. The pickups themselves seem to work, but I like the idea of a sump tank.

I plan on partitioning an area off around my pressure pump a few inches up and having a second pump as well as my return line pumping into it. ( I have a rectangle tank with one in-tank pump right now, sputters when low on fuel)

tried all the above, and the only sure fix is a surge tank. you would be amaized at how much air is in the fuel system, that will get eliminated by the surge tank.

the impulse setup is the only system that u can run below 1/8 of a tank and not get a bad sputter even at a half a tank of fuel on the apex would sputter when u wheelie really high but with this setup and one pump keep the surge tank full at all times and then gravity feeding the main pressure pump u can run the sled totally out of fuel with no issues.

type809 said:
I'm building one for my Doo1200, I'm also using some walbro pickups that shut when out of fuel. I'll try to post some pics when it's done to give you an idea. The pickups themselves seem to work, but I like the idea of a sump tank.

just did the test with 2 of thoses walbro, and it not working at all. The only way I think to resolve the problem is a small tank located in the rear of the tank, and connecting the fuel return line to this tank.

under big accel fuel will going in the rear, and fill the small tank. when breaking, the engine don't need very much fuel, and the return line will fill the small tank, and it will still have reserve fuel in the small tank to prevent air sucking until you stop breaking.

this thing finally don't work

post-53075-1281381412.jpg
[/list]

Longsled,
I haven’t had the time to test the front and back pickups past running down the lawn. But I agree with you. I'm building a new larger sump/surge/baffle tank that will fit the walbro pickup and connect to the stock tank assembly. I’m then planning on running a walbro pickup to the back of the tank for a just in case pickup with a check valve. I’m still kinda planning this, and when done I’ll take a few more pictures.

type809 said:
Longsled,
I haven’t had the time to test the front and back pickups past running down the lawn. But I agree with you. I'm building a new larger sump/surge/baffle tank that will fit the walbro pickup and connect to the stock tank assembly. I’m then planning on running a walbro pickup to the back of the tank for a just in case pickup with a check valve. I’m still kinda planning this, and when done I’ll take a few more pictures.

If you let the surge tank in the front of the tank you will eventually make it empty under big accel and when braking, air will come in by your walshit pickup in the rear of the tank.

just did my new setup will try this week end and let you know.

have in mind that the walbro pick up did'nt close at all to prevent air sucking like they said!

I never did this surge tank thingy and never had problem so far???

using stock yamaha fuel tank AND stock BRP Rev fuel tanks with their stock fuel pickup.. (apex mtn sled).

But I dont run them lower than half tank

longsled said:
type809 said:

just did the test with 2 of thoses walbro, and it not working at all. The only way I think to resolve the problem is a small tank located in the rear of the tank, and connecting the fuel return line to this tank.

under big accel fuel will going in the rear, and fill the small tank. when breaking, the engine don't need very much fuel, and the return line will fill the small tank, and it will still have reserve fuel in the small tank to prevent air sucking until you stop breaking.

this thing finally don't work

post-53075-1281381412.jpg
[/list]

Longsled,
Ive been using the walbros, 3 of them in the tank. I found its important to use the single outlet vented type with T's to divide the fuel line, not the flo through (especially not the 90 degree flo thru in your picture). The flow throughs restrict the fuel line down to a quarter inch and even smaller when they close because a plunger moves up through the hole. When the fuel moves to the back of the tank, it pulls off two of the pickups and the front one shuts.

it's not exactly my setup, I just found it on the web.

, I tried 2 of them last week end and it's not working at all. it still sucking air and not close properly under big accel. engine shut off when WOT. do you think is air coming because it not closing or just because I have restriction like you said?
MP_through.jpg

I would not rely on this type if 'filter / valve' alone

Either you never run low on fuel OR get a surge tank.

I fixed the problem by adding a surge tank and an auxiliary fuel pump that filling the surge tank, but I would like running without that auxiliary pump

Stock GM LS1 fuel pump has 'two pumps in one' one that fill the surge tank the other send fuel to fuel rail

Back