• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel tank size

Snowman07 said:
srx600 said:
viperino said:
I dont understand the idea of having such a small tank on this sled. It is probably the one issue that will prevent me from buying an 09. I cant stand to ride with a low fuel warning light on. I refuse to have to buy a 'fuel buddy'. I love what yamaha has done with this sled and feel they are on the right track but this fuel thing is killin' me.

Any current owners have input about they're experience with the fuel range issue?

I'm with you on this one...The only thing holding be back from making the deal is the tank size...Peace of mind and the fact that i'll be the one in our riding group looking for fuel is stopping me.
I ride in New York and have never had an issue about getting fuel. Most of the time I ride with 2 stroke sleds, and they are thinking about gas more then I am. Trust me, your not gonna get far away from any gas station. If you ride in Canada, then you should be worried. Gas fill up's in New York isn't the problem you might think it is.

snowman...trust me, I'm with ya man, but my riding buds have 800r's and 600 SDI's and with the 10 gal. tank at 15 mpg the can go well over 100 miles before thinking of a fuel stop. I'm concerned that i'll force the fuel stop before others are ready...thats all !! BUT i'm convinced that i need a X-TX, RTX, SE in the garage...Perhaps i'll keep the Gade and trade one of my extra sleds (06 500 ss Adr) for the Nytro. Hmmm... That sounds like a good idea.

I ride with a 600sdi and new 800r, and they are always looking for fuel before me. The only advantage they have is the extra 3 gallons they can cary around.

GT44 said:
I ride with a 600sdi and new 800r, and they are always looking for fuel before me. The only advantage they have is the extra 3 gallons they can cary around.

Ummm...no they aren't. I mean come on. They get the same or better mileage and as you said CARRY 3 MORE GALLONS. 3 gallons * 15MPG minimum...you run out at least 45 miles before they do.

Geezus.

I ride with three Polaris 600's, two carbed, one CFI and I am always looking for gas before them. I burn less of course, but I have less. Yes it is an issue where we live which I have solved for now with a 5 L jerry can on the running boards and a piece of hose in the tool kit.

Turk said:
yep snoman; we have 5 gas stations in the whole country!!!!

You know Turk, you took my earlier post as a bashing. It wasn't!!! I decided not to reply when you turned on me. So why do you have to keep carrying this on.

I rode in Quebec, and been on loops where I didn't see a gas station for 120 miles. That was when I had my F7, with a 12 gallon tank. The Nytro would be stretching it on a loop that far from a gas station.

Canada's type of riding, in many cases are in remote areas, I just stated that the Nytro's 7 1/2 gallon tank would be fine for riding in New York state. After all thats where SRX600 is from and rides. I'm just trying to give the guy some advice for his concerns about distance on a tank of gas.

I agree with the lame Tank size.
We listened to them weasle out of it last year by saying The Nytro was a *Bump* sled, you only needed a 28L tank.

Now with the XTX....a long track that is made to go *off Trail*...further away from gas. They have the same tank.

Obviously they never listened to anyone.
Still not buying one until they put a bigger tank on it. AND Yamaha Canada stops screwing us.

Snowman07 said:
Come on Turk, hows removing the insert gonna get you an extra 3-4 liters of gas in your tank? Its just a flimsy little plastic insert thats barely a 1/8" thick. To be honest, I can never figure out the reason for the insert.

I wounld'nt waste your time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

just for a small test for yourself fill your tank with the insert in the tank,

then remove the insert and see how much fuel you can add... you will be shocked

on a side note you should also move your fuel tank vent to a higher location

Turk is correct, I've been doing this for a few years

Yep, I've been pulling the white "thingy" out, or slowly adding fuel for years! Good for another 1/2 gallon US. You can get some fuel out of the over-flow when trailering. If its a long trailer trip, then I'll leave the white insert in so it dosn't overflow in the trailer.
Anyone know if the 7.4 gallons listed for the Nytro tank, is with the white "thingy" in or out?

I'm guessing it is with the white thingy in. Reason being is I almost ran mine dry once and it too this full capacity when I filled it with white thingy in place.

dothedoo said:
GT44 said:

Ummm...no they aren't. I mean come on. They get the same or better mileage and as you said CARRY 3 MORE GALLONS. 3 gallons * 15MPG minimum...you run out at least 45 miles before they do.

Geezus.

I was talking tank for tank (7.5gal vs 10 gal), not my tank vs thier tank plus 3 gallons, the ability to carry gas is a advantage I said. I run out 45 miles before them come on, will never happen. BRPs sleds are good on fuel on a groomed trail doing 50-60mph. I spent the past weekend in 64cm of fresh snow with 2 600sdi and several 800s, we did the same riding, in the same conditions, and they burned more fuel then me. Don't know what to tell you it is what it is. They don't like it either!

On todays ride my fuel light came on at 99 miles. I gassed up with 108 on the trip meter. It took 6.5 gallons to fill up. I leave the white sleeve in, but slowly add a bit more after the level gets up to the white sleeve.

We had a wide variation in trail conditions today. Some really sloppy mashed potato snow near where we unloaded. Some really nice trails with good snow at the northern point of the loop. Temps were 35 - 40 degrees F, and we were riding fairly aggressive.

You can always do the old expando tank mod... filll em' up with hot water, add compressed air, let it cool.... drain and dry. Rough estimate... gain another 1/2 gallon... maybe more.

Back