• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gear gurus, need some help

HRD2PLZ

Expert
Ok, so I have my buddies 03 rx1 (w/reverse). Chain was slipping last year while we were in UP for a ride, chain case oil level was low, kept tightening the chain, was good for bit then slipped again, limped it back to the hotel. Pics of what we found are below. So first, definitely bought a new chain, but are having trouble finding new gears in his price range. Are these gears gone? What gears will fit from other sleds and a good place to buy from? I have called Laneo twice left a message and haven't heard back. We need to get this thing back together for a trip. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 79

i had the same teeth marks on my 03 from using an aftermarket hyvo chain, but on the 2 bigger gears, not the small reverse ones. the gears from the apex will fit up till model year 2010 for sure, not sure on newer models.check the other parts vendors on this site for supply. if you cant get them in time, i would use them for the trip and change them out later

While I agree the gears should probably be replaced, the root cause of the slippage is most likely the chain stretch. Had it happen to a friend of mine. Because the chain is stretched the effective gear size changes, it would be like running a 2.52" pitch driver on a 3.00" pitch track, the mesh is off.

As mentioned the gears should be the same, as try have used that reverse case or at least the reverse system for many years. Also as mention get a good set of gears, thy may look the same but the material/heat-treat can be far different.

Thanks guys. Soooo, it may be ok for a bit using these gears with a new chain? Or will it end up destroying that chain?

Buddy checked C&S ( that used parts place) they didn't have them. Precision is a good suggestion. Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't put a new chain on those damaged gears. Just buy the gears and replace them with the chain at the same time. Why would you want to take apart the chain case twice and also take a chance on damaging your new chain?

I'm a bit suprised at the level of wear on the reverse coupled gears. I guess the stretched chain may have caused that, how was the chain tension prior to slipping? Those gears shouldn't have any rear load in when in forward. Maybe check the bearings to see if there is any play, which could create a hammering effect.

Back