• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

grooves on clutchs?

snoway

Lifetime Member
Website
www.vrbo.com
Never had this happen on any of my other yammies, but the 08 vector has a groove worn in both clutchs . I would call it fairly deep. I don't drive this one different than my other sleds, and I vary my speed all the time.
There actually are a series of rings or grooves, but the minor ones sanded out of the primary with 120 and then 180 grit sanding while running.But the main one is still visible.
I have run yamaha belts since new.
Anyone else seeing this ?

If it's on the primaries, yes. My '06 Apex did it, and I had to replace both clutch seaves. I chalked it up to getting stuck or getting the belt wet or something?? I did run mine on some water and sunk it once though, so I'm figuring it was definately something I did wrong....

yes ,daughters sled was starting to blow belts. 05 vector . check over revealed grooves in clutch faces. found a good used one, put new weights spring and bushings in it. and it is off to shop to have engine/clutches align as i do not have align tool.

Both my SXr's and both my Attaks had/have that groove in the primary. Never had belt issues on any of the sleds.

13,000 miles on my SXr 700 and was still rotating the original two belts.

I re-face mine every year to avoid having GROOVES and seems to work so far...1st pic w/6500kms with some very minor grooves at the centre but otherwise in good shape and 2nd pic is a perfect condition ready to ride...the killer is when you drive a lot of long steady speeds or always at the same speed the belt always rides in the same spot and tends to groove, another big factor is dirty clutches sheaves,ramps,towers & rollers make sure to keep them nice & clean everything free of dust and other crap, during the riding season clean your sheaves with HOT! soapy water with a SCUFF pad rinse and let dry and keep your belt clean, wash it in HOT soapy water and let dry over night, a dirty belt will tend to SLIP creating a lot of HEAT! I have 10.000kms and still looks like new...

Attachments

• CIMG0145.JPG
    CIMG0145.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 147
  • CIMG0143.JPG
    CIMG0143.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 172

Back