• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hang on!

Woodys push thru chisels is what I use. Don’t imagine aluminum would stand up to trail riding

Woodys push thru chisels is what I use. Don’t imagine aluminum would stand up to trail riding
Right on. Let me know a good amount to start. And ill get them ordered. Seems like if You don't install enough of them you'll get pull throughs. I'm only running single backers at this point. When I find decent traction ill replace the track and redo everything

Not a fan of doubles backers but that’s just me . RE torque your studs after a couple outings and that usually eliminates issues. I use 50/50 trail studs in the centre band with only trail studs on the outside bands. Again that’s just me others may have better set ups. Trail studs I usually use triggers or hornets, lake racers is also a good stud.

Not a fan of doubles backers but that’s just me . RE torque your studs after a couple outings and that usually eliminates issues. I use 50/50 trail studs in the centre band with only trail studs on the outside bands. Again that’s just me others may have better set ups. Trail studs I usually use triggers or hornets, lake racers is also a good stud.
I've always ran 60° tip, mostly cuz I've never looked for max effort, and never run on ice. I try my best to find hard pack situations, but you take what you can get.
I took a peek at the chisels And they only offer them in 1.3" then step up to 1.63". So 1.63" it is...
2 questions.... 1) Will they work with Woody's angled backers?? 2) I'm still using Yamaha factory tunnel protectors, any problems? I run the track tight.
Note: torqued studs to 15lbs, ill retorque when things get going. Thanks, NYTurbo, I'm on it.

U want your chisels to be as close to the same length as your trail studs as possible.

Yes, which? You probably don't like the ones I show above. Aluminum?!?!
Careful.. Those chisels will not make it more then a couple hundred miles.. No carbide tips.. I understand guys do it and have different opinions about chisels on the trail.. IMO not any studs without carbide tip for TRAILS.

Careful.. Those chisels will not make it more then a couple hundred miles.. No carbide tips.. I understand guys do it and have different opinions about chisels on the trail.. IMO not any studs without carbide tip for TRAILS.
I kinda like those aluminum chisels. They can be removed at any point. And they are 1/8" shorter then the stud, which will help some. I'd have to use them in certain situations where I'm not going to run down a paved road for miles. Maybe just a ride to Ben's camp and back.
It's very costly at $10per. So, 72pcs = $720. Not looking good. Lol. Probably go on the direction of NYTurbo's advise.

IMO your going to be wasting money on studs without carbide tips FOR TRAIL riding. Yes you can run them but realize they will wear down fast and curl over in a few hundred miles.. A few road crossings and they are junk IMO.. Chisels work and are designed for ice and snow tracks not road crossings and rocks on trails.. I ran 200+ chisels last year and they never touched concrete or rocks.. They were virgin off the trailer with rubber mats and kept the edge intact.. Only ran them on my lake and Bents camp /lake. Then they were taken out Sunday and gold diggers back in for trail riding the next 6 days.

I ran a double every other row with chisels and a 4-3 pattern with triggers. Not most durable but could be worse.

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpeg
    IMG_0861.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0859.jpeg
    IMG_0859.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0860.jpeg
    IMG_0860.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 61
WOW! Without saying names or discussing topic, a fellow member messaged me. All I can say is
I ran a double every other row with chisels and a 4-3 pattern with triggers. Not most durable but could be worse.
Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do! But progress must be made! Lol.
How was the B4 and after traction situation? Are you still running them this year?

Triggers I replace maybe a dozen a year, chisels are almost a complete swap for new every year
You're right .. it's not horrible.
I have to look deeper into the Woody's product.
I'm running stud boy 1.63s and I believe they measure up to the Woody's product of 1.575". I need to get this confirmed in order to the order the right chisels. Point, the Woodies 1.63s will be a bit longer than the stud boy 1.63s that I have installed. I hope that makes sense.

I have 2000 trail miles, lots of road running on my set up. Will run them again this year after I sharpen the chisels up a bit. None bent or curled over. Straight chisels yes u will have issues , mix them in with same length trail studs .

To each their own on this topic .

You're right .. it's not horrible.
I have to look deeper into the Woody's product.
I'm running stud boy 1.63s and I believe they measure up to the Woody's product of 1.575". I need to get this confirmed in order to the order the right chisels. Point, the Woodies 1.63s will be a bit longer than the stud boy 1.63s that I have installed. I hope that makes sense.
You can run the woodies ones. Next time around I’m gonna go all snow studs. His products just seem superior to everyone to me from what I saw at big east.

As far as chisels some I have I’m sure can be sharpened that aren’t bent or broke, but they wear down a lot on length, I’m sure if you just got tick shorter chisels it would solve alot of that issue but I don’t want to sacrifice anything lol so every mid-end Jan I swap 96 chisels and throw old useable ones in my drawer for safe keeping down the road. Lol

I have 2000 trail miles, lots of road running on my set up. Will run them again this year after I sharpen the chisels up a bit. None bent or curled over. Straight chisels yes u will have issues , mix them in with same length trail studs .

To each their own on this topic .
I'm down with trying them. Just trying to figure installed length versus my stud boy trail studs. I think the 163 in from Woody's may be a tick too long.
You can run the woodies ones. Next time around I’m gonna go all snow studs. His products just seem superior to everyone to me from what I saw at big east.

As far as chisels some I have I’m sure can be sharpened that aren’t bent or broke, but they wear down a lot on length, I’m sure if you just got tick shorter chisels it would solve alot of that issue but I don’t want to sacrifice anything lol so every mid-end Jan I swap 96 chisels and throw old useable ones in my drawer for safe keeping down the road. Lol
Agree.... I'm not sure that 1/8" under will hurt much.
I measured my 1.63-in studs and they show 5/8" penetration. I mean.... I'm sure a half inch penetration on the chisel wouldn't be horrible. Lol

Back