• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone tried snowmobile ramps ?

superfan75

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
RX Warrior
I definitely need a better way to haul my Warrior, it too heavy to unload from the back of my truck. I was going to try to get a trailor until I stumbled across some snowmobile trailers. If the ramps work well it would save me some money and save some space since I have a small yard. Thanx for any info.

I built my own got the idea from a friend of mine. Here is a link to my you tube page with pics. http://youtu.be/vPja9rgkgHk I haul 5 to 7 hours to Maine much nicer than Dragging a trailer, paying extra tolls, easy unload with no need for snow banks. My set up has a sub floor with the ramps that is stowed and taken with underneath.
Hope this helps
Bluebullet( Terry)

Hey thanx guys, those both look like good options for hauling my Warrior. There are a lot of benefits to a ramp over a trailer. A ramp is cheaper, no registration or inspection to worry about, takes up almost no room, and its easier to get around without a trailer. I really like the homemade one Bluebullet, do you leave it in your truck all winter ? Bluebullet did you use an old bed liner for the ski guides? I also like some of the ramps that you can buy, they look like they weigh less.

Super, Yes I put the sub floor in just before first planned trip. Ramp goes in with sled first trip. I did use an old bed liner for ski guides and old track for traction on ramp and sub floor. I have an 8 ft bed in my truck so I made the ramp 8 ft long, sub floor 8 ft also. I can close my tailgate and put my Toneau cover on when sled isn't in the bed to keep the weather out.
My set up is over built and used wood I had around from other projects so it works and was cheap for me. I like the long ramp so the sled goes up easy and smooth. My apex is picked and loads hard off payment so the long ramp works better than a short on for sure. I have thought of buying a trifold( Lighter) but my set up flat out works. Ramp is heavy but slides out to end of tailgate then slides back under sub floor when hauling so don't deal with that weight too often. I put pcs of the bed liner to help it slide in and out easy. ;)!

Wow there are some great options for loading my sled in the back of my truck. I don't think I can go wrong with any of these, they all look like they work really good.

Building your own sled deck/ramp like Bluebullet's is much better than just store bought ramps. The issue with store bought ramps is that you have to dismantle the ramps and place them alongside your sled in the truck bed. It is much quicker with the homemade setup sliding it under the sled during transport.

Bluebullet said:
Super, Yes I put the sub floor in just before first planned trip. Ramp goes in with sled first trip. I did use an old bed liner for ski guides and old track for traction on ramp and sub floor. I have an 8 ft bed in my truck so I made the ramp 8 ft long, sub floor 8 ft also. I can close my tailgate and put my Toneau cover on when sled isn't in the bed to keep the weather out.
My set up is over built and used wood I had around from other projects so it works and was cheap for me. I like the long ramp so the sled goes up easy and smooth. My apex is picked and loads hard off payment so the long ramp works better than a short on for sure. I have thought of buying a trifold( Lighter) but my set up flat out works. Ramp is heavy but slides out to end of tailgate then slides back under sub floor when hauling so don't deal with that weight too often. I put pcs of the bed liner to help it slide in and out easy. ;)!

I'm really thinking of trying to build a ramp like what you have, that looks really slick and with the money I'll save I could put it towards a toneau cover for my truck. My truck is an extended cab with a 6.5 foot bed, do you think a ramp that length would be too steep for a full size 4 x 4 ?

Been using the Black Ice ramp from Discount Ramps for three years now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEYA6k7dVuI#t=149

I have the 96" version which now appears to be 94" on their site. Nice long ramp makes it easy to load and comes with good security straps to attach when loading and unloading. Use it for the ATV as well. Once loaded, the ramp folds up and I slide it along side the sled with a piece of styrofoam wedged between the sled and the ramp.

The only time I wish the ramp was shorter is when I haul the quad. The quad can fit in the bed with the gate closed but it makes hauling the ramp more difficult so I end up hauling with the gate down.

After a couple years of use the pins that the ramp pivot on began falling out due to crappy welds. I ended up sealing the ends with JB Weld since I do not ever plan on taking the ramp apart. Other than that it has been well worth the money.

6.5 foot bed, plus your tailgate 2ft will give you an 8 ft ramp ( can't close tailgate). I wouldn't go less than 8 ft. mine works great and perfect angle for loading and unloading. Only issue will be when you are not hauling your sled yo will have to take ramp out to close your tailgate. When hauling won't be an issue. Make your sub floor to fit with gate closed. I use a 2 ft transition peice just to make ramp to subfloor easyier and smooth. Mine is hinged to fold up so I can close gate when not hauling or I just remove. I have seen folks use 6 ft ramps and they work but its pretty steap. Good luck
;)! Blue

Bluebullet said:
6.5 foot bed, plus your tailgate 2ft will give you an 8 ft ramp ( can't close tailgate). I wouldn't go less than 8 ft. mine works great and perfect angle for loading and unloading. Only issue will be when you are not hauling your sled yo will have to take ramp out to close your tailgate. When hauling won't be an issue. Make your sub floor to fit with gate closed. I use a 2 ft transition peice just to make ramp to subfloor easyier and smooth. Mine is hinged to fold up so I can close gate when not hauling or I just remove. I have seen folks use 6 ft ramps and they work but its pretty steap. Good luck
;)! Blue

Yeah I was wondering if it might be too steep. That wouldn't work too bad to use 8' ramps and have the sub floor fit the bed with the tailgate closed. I wonder it would work if I made the ramps 6.5' long and then had extensions that I could add to make them 8' long. I might be over thinking it. I think it would be nice to have everything in my truck like you do so if I had extensions I could have 8' ramps in a 6.5' bed and everything will be all together. Thank you for your advice on making my own ramp. I think it will work out great and I probably have half what I need to make it in my garage. I have someone in a salvage yard keeping an eye out for a bedliner.

I bought a alluminum trifold ramp added ski guides to it. I cut two strips out of an old truck liner but you can use bought ones. I left the center of the ramp uncovered for the track to grip. My truck has a box liner so nothing needed there. I then built a T out of 1 1/2 square tube that sits on a piece of 2 inch square tube that slides into my reciever hitch. The top of the T sits level with and just behind my tailgate when its down. I then drilled two holes one on each side of the T and matching holes in the Trifold ramp (just inside the ski stance). I got a piece of logging chain from the local supplier (reason is logging chain does not rust that is important) welded it to two lockable reciever hitch locks.

So to load the sled you mount the T bar in the reciver hitch. Drop the tailgate, unfold the ramp and drop the lockable pins in the holes so the ramp does not move. When you run the sled up the ramp the ramp stays where its supposed to and the weight of the sled is on the T bar reciver hitch so it does not break your cables on your tailgate and have it fall onto the bumper costing a ton to fix. Now once the sled is loaded you remove the ramp and fold it up. You place it alongside your sled and then you take the chain and run it through your skid and the ramp locking it to the T Bar on each side. Now to steal either the chain locks have to be cut off.

As well when you unload your sled you can just leave the ramp down and locked in place for when you return.

I have my old wooden ramp system rotting in the back yard. Hated taking it out and putting it back in all the time so I could close my tailgate on the 6ft box. With the setup I built I just stand the ramp against the wall in the garage and the Tbar with it when done with it. Takes about two minutes and no struggling. Tanneau off to tanneau back on is a breeze!

That is something to think about as I do have a bi folding ramp already, but it only 6.5 ft long and I think it will be too steep, especially when backing out. I got a free bedliner and old used track. I'm not sure which way I will go. The homemade ramp has some good points I like, but the ramp you have sounds like a good set up to. Thanx for the idea Sasquatch.

I bought a alluminum trifold ramp added ski guides to it. I cut two strips out of an old truck liner but you can use bought ones. I left the center of the ramp uncovered for the track to grip. My truck has a box liner so nothing needed there. I then built a T out of 1 1/2 square tube that sits on a piece of 2 inch square tube that slides into my reciever hitch. The top of the T sits level with and just behind my tailgate when its down. I then drilled two holes one on each side of the T and matching holes in the Trifold ramp (just inside the ski stance). I got a piece of logging chain from the local supplier (reason is logging chain does not rust that is important) welded it to two lockable reciever hitch locks.

So to load the sled you mount the T bar in the reciver hitch. Drop the tailgate, unfold the ramp and drop the lockable pins in the holes so the ramp does not move. When you run the sled up the ramp the ramp stays where its supposed to and the weight of the sled is on the T bar reciver hitch so it does not break your cables on your tailgate and have it fall onto the bumper costing a ton to fix. Now once the sled is loaded you remove the ramp and fold it up. You place it alongside your sled and then you take the chain and run it through your skid and the ramp locking it to the T Bar on each side. Now to steal either the chain locks have to be cut off.

As well when you unload your sled you can just leave the ramp down and locked in place for when you return.

I have my old wooden ramp system rotting in the back yard. Hated taking it out and putting it back in all the time so I could close my tailgate on the 6ft box. With the setup I built I just stand the ramp against the wall in the garage and the Tbar with it when done with it. Takes about two minutes and no struggling. Tanneau off to tanneau back on is a breeze!
you have a pic

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

Back