• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Head gasket job on 08 nytro

Ski Whiz

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Nytro rtx
I think I’m in for a head gasket job on my nytro. Any tips or suggestions to make the job easier?
What am I looking at for total hrs?
Thanks

8 to 10 hrs, why you think you need a head gasket?
Ok, that gives me a ball park…
Bubbles in coolant and when driven hard, it pushes coolant into reservoir and it does not draw back into rad as system cools.
Took a chance on this sled. Bought it cheap. After I had it home I noticed that someone has changed the water pump, and found welds on the heat exchanger. I’m thinking 2 potential situations when the previous owner may have overheated it. Now I’ll pay! ‍♂️

Ok, that gives me a ball park…
Bubbles in coolant and when driven hard, it pushes coolant into reservoir and it does not draw back into rad as system cools.
Took a chance on this sled. Bought it cheap. After I had it home I noticed that someone has changed the water pump, and found welds on the heat exchanger. I’m thinking 2 potential situations when the previous owner may have overheated it. Now I’ll pay! ‍♂️
That stinks. You may have to be sure the head and block is flat.

I had the exact same symptoms on my RS Venture GT.

I don't know what the access to the top of the engine is like on the Nytro but yeah, it took me a couple of days. I also did the valve clearances as they were all off so needed a valve shim kit. The head surface was a little warped and I brought it flat using emery cloth on a plate glass. It has been working fine since.

Follow the manual for this. you'll need it. I had trouble dealing with the timing chain and tensioner.

I found other threads that discuss the possibility of doing the job in the sled.. no one actually confirms they have done it, they mostly speculate it could be done?!?
Perhaps since it’s my first (and hopefully last!) attempt at the job I should just get it on the bench?!

From what I have seen, the majority pull it out on the Nytro. Saw only one thread that said they did it with it in situ but had to tilt it to access the chain tensioner (I had to do this on my RS). That thread was never concluded to confirm it was done that way, probably the same one you saw.

From what I have seen, the majority pull it out on the Nytro. Saw only one thread that said they did it with it in situ but had to tilt it to access the chain tensioner (I had to do this on my RS). That thread was never concluded to confirm it was done that way, probably the same one you saw.
Just curious, the service manual says use new valve cover gasket. Did u bother with that? I figured I could clean up old one and use some sealer on it.
I’m pretty cheap! Lol

Back