• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HELP: jumps kill it

Ratpack

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 RX1
Every time that I hit a jump the sled dies when I land. I have not looked fast enough to see if it is a rich flood or not. When I start it up after this happens the sled does not want to start. The carbs have the mountain bowls with new o-rings. The carbs have been off and everything seems fine with them. Sure takes the fun out of jumping the drifts.

Assuming that you have good fuel and it runs well on the flat trails:

I would check for a chaffed wire. I would start down by the ECM. Then check the wires around the handle bars. These are two common problems.

What could be happening is a short in a wire kills the ignition and the fuel then wets the plugs. Then, it is hard to start. You might take a look at a plug to verify the wet condition. But, I'd bet you got a wire problem.

Oh, ... it could also be a loose connection (e.g. on the keyswitch, fuse, gage or the ECM.)

If the wires all check out, have you ever adjusted the carb's float levels? But if you are totally killing the sled on the jump, it seems like it would have to be more than one carb that had a bad float level.

I don't remember if it did this when it was stock. It is running rich so maybe it's flooding. I will try to watch my gauges on my next ride.

It is running rich bacause I built an under the tunnel exaust. That with the super charger is making it hard to get the correct mains. I have it running 11.2 WOT. I need to go one size smaller but i've got to order those jets. Hopefully I can narrow the problem down on my wednesday ride. I've had five sets of jets in it trying to get enough fuel into it and now I'm getting a little to much. But, gas is cheeper than a motor.

If you got a set of smaller jets, maybe you can drill them out to size. We used to do that a lot. Then, once we got close, we would order the correct ones. Of course, back in those days, it was a lot harder to get the right sized jets.

Back