• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Here we go again thought we were done with header problems

Yamadog

Lifetime Member
Well just heard from Allen Ulmer who is working on my sled. He just got through inspection phase and found many problems - most due to the idiot that did the turbo install BUT guess what - 1400 ish miles on the sled the header is cracked on the weld on the side 1 tube.

So to Date Warranty Issues with 1400 miles on the sled:
1. Thumb warmer failure
2. both hand warmers failed
3. Electronic Reverse actuator motor failed
4. Gauge pod was replaced due to lighting issue
5. Broken header weld
6. Limiter straps destroyed - not replaced by Yamaha

Cracked Header.jpg

Will add that to the checklist. Yamadog maybe yours was a training sled and the teacher left the room! Sorry for all your issues man. Has to end. I bet Ulmer will kick all the bugs out.

Will add that to the checklist. Yamadog maybe yours was a training sled and the teacher left the room! Sorry for all your issues man. Has to end. I bet Ulmer will kick all the bugs out.

Thanks Cannon - I know when Allen is done all will be right with the world. I wish I would have gone to him in the very beginning.

With a crack like that didn't it make any noise? Or is it not all the way through yet?

Subaru2006

Looks like lack of fusion, I don't believe the parts were actually welded together to begin with. Probably louder than normal from the start. So no difference now.

Now I've got to check my Vipers, my LTX SE is noticeably louder than the LTX DX and the muffler is good on both! The SE has been louder than the DX since day 1.

very cold weld there, lack of fusion..... just a #*$&@ mig weld from the factory, when they should all be TIG welded to begin with.... yikes looks like a few of us may have to really consider EVO headers after all.....

wondering how common this is going to be if common at all? or if maybe it was just a fluke

Well if it happened to Steve or Me it would be the first time...lol...
I guess we were the guinea pigs!! LMAO

This was likely caused by the extra heat and pressure from the turbo, the header was not designed for that

First time seeing that one. Dealer tore apart a SR Viper over the Summer w/over 3,500 miles and the header had zero imperfections. Welds were solid with no signs of bad craftsmanship. I should have snapped a few pics....dammit! Sorry to read about your misfortunes viipeR. Hopefully, nothing else needs to be added to your growing blacklist!

Back