• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hindle Packing Replacement

yamaha06

VIP Member
Has anyone replaced the packing in their Hindle muffler? I bought packing from Hindle which came with the drill bit and replacement rivets. I split the exhaust apart, removed the old packing pack and it looks like there was some metal spark arrestor material that was fastened the the inner core of the muffler. The metal fiber material has pretty much disintegrated, so I don’t know if I need to look for some kind of replacement or is it just same to shove the packing pack in and reassemble? Here are some pics.

Attachments

• EFDBC540-DACC-447C-BE9C-53A2F19B7EFC.jpeg
    EFDBC540-DACC-447C-BE9C-53A2F19B7EFC.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 6270921F-C757-4A51-BA97-E501BBD96089.jpeg
    6270921F-C757-4A51-BA97-E501BBD96089.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 65

That metal piece needs to be in there for the packing to go around. I did mine a few years ago. Without the metal the exhaust does not have a clean path through the muffler. You can't just run it with packing in there.

That metal piece needs to be in there for the packing to go around. I did mine a few years ago. Without the metal the exhaust does not have a clean path through the muffler. You can't just run it with packing in there.
Yeah I would keep the metal core piece in there. I was talking about that metal mesh that’s wrapped around the metal core. Most of it has disintegrated but the metal core is still fine.

The steel mesh type wrap keeps the fiberglass packing from burning out to fast, some glasspak type mufflers use the mesh and some dont, if your not in a hurry i would get new mesh.

The steel mesh type wrap keeps the fiberglass packing from burning out to fast, some glasspak type mufflers use the mesh and some dont, if your not in a hurry i would get new mesh.
Thanks, I will have to see if I can find someone. Is there a specific name for that mesh?

Yeah I would keep the metal core piece in there. I was talking about that metal mesh that’s wrapped around the metal core. Most of it has disintegrated but the metal core is still fine.
Oh ok, i thought the whole core was gone. I would take fords advice then

I am sure there is other places also!

Back