• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Horsepower numbers don't seem right....

HRD2PLZ

Expert
I was thinking of getting a fuel controller this year. I have a pretty much stock nytro with a Barkers exhaust. I called Tim Barker about getting a replacement end cap for the exhaust after some of the rear plastic melted on it last year. He said no problem just send me some pics and I'll send a new one (was really cool about it). Anyway...after to talking to him he mentions that they are testing their own fuel controller they are gonna make at a resonable cost (cheaper than PCIII he says). He said they were gonna do some testing that week and then they would see where they are. I called back a few weeks later and asked about it. he told me that they used a new sled and that while they didn't get the numbers they wanted they did see an increase in hp. He said with stock sled they were only seeing about 124hp and with the exhaust and fuel controller they were seeing about 130-132hp. He said it was because the sled was new and not broken in. I'm pretty impressed with the gains, but those numbers just don't seem right. But then again I've heard of people getting around 138hp on stock sleds when broke in. What do you think?

Scott

I've heard of stock HP numbers ranges of 124 to 140.

"It's like a box of chocolates...
You just never know what you'll get."

For most, all you can hope you have a strong one.

HRD2PLZ said:
I was thinking of getting a fuel controller this year. I have a pretty much stock nytro with a Barkers exhaust. I called Tim Barker about getting a replacement end cap for the exhaust after some of the rear plastic melted on it last year. He said no problem just send me some pics and I'll send a new one (was really cool about it). Anyway...after to talking to him he mentions that they are testing their own fuel controller they are gonna make at a resonable cost (cheaper than PCIII he says). He said they were gonna do some testing that week and then they would see where they are. I called back a few weeks later and asked about it. he told me that they used a new sled and that while they didn't get the numbers they wanted they did see an increase in hp. He said with stock sled they were only seeing about 124hp and with the exhaust and fuel controller they were seeing about 130-132hp. He said it was because the sled was new and not broken in. I'm pretty impressed with the gains, but those numbers just don't seem right. But then again I've heard of people getting around 138hp on stock sleds when broke in. What do you think?

Scott

Every sled and every dyno read differently. I personally added a barker to my sled during a Dyno session last year. Here are the results

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:17 pm Post subject: Dyno Results Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Dyno Results for my 2009 RTX SE

My sled made 146.2 HP at 9200 with CR10EK plugs, K&N Filters, Excel Header into stock muffler, PC111, and ignition module.

With the same setup except change the stock muffler to the Barker and remove the rev limiter it made 150.4 at 9700 RPMs. It also improved the torque by 8 foot pounds at peak and held the torque higher all the way through.

That's a far cry from the horsepower gain that Barker claims on his website for the exhaust alone...12HP my eye!

It's funny, I've sent Barker a couple emails asking for proof of his claim of 12HP and they have gone unanswered...so imo, that's false advertising.

I'm going to start looking at this in a percentage gain perspective.
Since different dynos and different nytros are at play.

For eg.
In this topic Barker started with 124hp stock
With the mods listed got up to 132hp. (rpms not listed)
6.06% gain over stock.

barker pipe

Hey Dirk,
I am running the same set up this year on my nytro with the exception of the ign module (haven't rode it with this set up though).

How did you remove the rev limiter and what benefits do you see in performance by running with the ignition module?

Thanks for the insight.

Kope out

Re: barker pipe

kopenytro said:
Hey Dirk,
I am running the same set up this year on my nytro with the exception of the ign module (haven't rode it with this set up though).

How did you remove the rev limiter and what benefits do you see in performance by running with the ignition module?

Thanks for the insight.

Kope out

X2 :Rockon:

Re: barker pipe

kopenytro said:
Hey Dirk,

Thanks for the insight.

Kope out

I can answer to some degree...my last year xtx had all the same but no ign module..with a few minor differences.....when dirk and rode together we were pretty even...he had mileage in the teens and my sled had 6-750 miles on it so wasnt competely broke in...he had extra skid wheels but I had the xtx's better top end skid..I was running simmons dual runners and he c&a razors...we both were around the 115 mark...I think there was a few mph left in tweaking both sleds..like 119 optimal everything...

to me the only gain is maybe a sled length or two on the very top end..

and per Allen Ulmer theres nothing showing on the dyno...

look up hauck fuel alternator on the phazer fourm what your thinking of getting has got to be just another doebeck unit with a new sticker :) anyways lots of info on pc3 vrs doebeck in phazer fourm.

mach9 said:
I'm going to start looking at this in a percentage gain perspective.
Since different dynos and different nytros are at play.

For eg.
In this topic Barker started with 124hp stock
With the mods listed got up to 132hp. (rpms not listed)
6.06% gain over stock.

This is what I was thinking too.

As far as it being false advertising, well, maybe but I didn't buy it thinking I was getting 12hp extra, just unheard of by itself. But I got a slammin deal on it from him and thought I would give it a try. And it turns out Ilike it except for the slight hesitation at mid throttle, which I was told by both, Jason at Priceless Performance and Tim Barker that a fuel controller would take care of this.

Thanks Dirk for sharing your dyno results, great info.

But why shouldn't you think you'd be getting the 12 hp when they advertise it as such.

If you were to buy gasoline and the station's sign states that it's $3/gallon, but in reality you get only half of that gallon, you'd be ticked off right?

I'm just saying that if an exhaust is advertised as a 12 hp upgrade, then that is what you should expect, not 4.

Grimm said:
But why shouldn't you think you'd be getting the 12 hp when they advertise it as such.

If you were to buy gasoline and the station's sign states that it's $3/gallon, but in reality you get only half of that gallon, you'd be ticked off right?

I'm just saying that if an exhaust is advertised as a 12 hp upgrade, then that is what you should expect, not 4.
Very very true

basic700 said:
Grimm said:

Very very true

I don't really want to get into a long drawn out discussion about the 12hp (that horse is dead no need to beat it), but :) for arguments sake, the new truck i bought a while back said that i would get either 19 - 20 mpg highway, just wondering if i should take it back?? Cuz i haven't seen it. But then again I really didn't expect too. Ultimately, i'd say there are too many variables. Just as was posted on here about the disparity between machines (ones a strong runner and another is not, same machines), just too many variables.

Back