• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How sensitive is the carburation to temperature change?

04RX1LE

I bought an 04 RX-1 that had K&N individual air filters and 165 main jets plus who knows what else. It ran like a rocket last season in warmer weather but when I got it out in single digit temps this season it was running lean. I got it to a Yamaha dealer so I could enjoy the week of riding and he drilled the main jets out. I could ride it but it didn't have the power of last season.

I talked to 3 dealers who said it was those air filters. I had the air box put back in and the stock jetting. It ran equally as quick but again the weather was warmer. Will this sled perform more evenly with the stock setup or are these sleds just that sensitive?? I really don't want to have to mess with it on every trip.

Thanks! Appreciate any help as a new 4 stroker...

My '04 is stock. Never noticed any significant changes related to temps from 40 to -40. All I do is lift the flap over the carbs off in warm weather and put it back over the carbs at about 20 degrees. If you want reliability, you leave it stock.

OK, thanks. That makes me feel better. If I would have bought it new I would never had screwed with it. My brother-in-law is a real gear head. It pulls just as hard with the air box and smaller jets anyway. I just want reliablity.

I had the same brother-in-law problem. His sleds were always fast, right up until we had to tow him in. Then we heard the excuses. He was always trying to sell me his stuff. Sister finally divorced him. Have not had to tow anyone since.

Funny! Well, I bought this LE sight unseen but it was for a price that made it worth the "brother-in-law risk"....now that I've "detuned" it a little I think it will be something I will want to keep....haha.

Back