• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I bought my first Yamaha sled yesterday.

small-bore

It's a 2006 Apex RTX. Any tips would be welcome. One thing though, where do you guy's stash a spare belt. :-o .

Attachments

• $_14CA10IR1T - Copy.jpg
    $_14CA10IR1T - Copy.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,271

There should be a holder for in in the clutch side. Above the clutches there is a metal shield. On that is were it is suposed to be. Take the front nose panel off then the clutch side panel. If no holder is there you can get a panel with one off Ebay. See here.Clutch Shield and belt holder

I heard the ones that didn't come with the belt holder option were the lighter, faster models!!!

Cograts! very dependable and quick sleds. The Cadillac of sleds=Apex

On a more serious note, Yammis really don't need spare belts. But if you feel the need to carry one without the holder than the easiest spot is up in the nose area under the hood. You could zip tie one to your belt guard also. just make sure to have a pocket knife or equivilent tool to remove the zip ties to use the belt.

The only time I have had any issues with Yamaha belts over the last dozen years is if they have ALLOT of miles and they just get dried out with hair line cracks in them from age. When they get old like this they normally just de-laminate the top cogs off them instead of a complete shatter. Good thing you got the 2006 RTX being they have the mono skid. I have heard the latter RTX's with the CK ride stiffer.

I would never ride with out a spare belt. I have blown 2 belts on my 12 already. yes they last a long time but murphy will catch up with you at some point. I would hate to be 100 mile from camp and blow on and not have a spare. also i always keep a gerber multi tool pliers with too cause when they do let go the strings get stuck all up in the secondary with its open design it is quite the rats nest. need to use the knife and the pliers to get it all out.

scott32 said:
On a more serious note, Yammis really don't need spare belts. But if you feel the need to carry one without the holder than the easiest spot is up in the nose area under the hood. You could zip tie one to your belt guard also. just make sure to have a pocket knife or equivilent tool to remove the zip ties to use the belt.

I have owned Cat's for years so I'm a little gun shy when it comes to reliability. I sill have the tool bag from one of my Cat's, I'll throw it in the back.

I agree never take a chance, carry a spare. Normally when you have a belt do the explosion thing and it gets wrapped around the secondary you deserved it.........meaning the flipper was to the handlebar. ;):D

On a serious note. For some reason I have seen more blown belts on Nytros lately than any of the newer Yammies. Not sure if they have a bit of chassis flex going on or what. On all my Yamahas in the past I like to add a torque arm if possible to reduce from the engine rocking back too much under load.

I just got back from a ride. I flipped it on it's side going over a bank crossing a road. It stalled but fired right back up. I stopped for a coffee and when I tried restarting it, it wouldn't start. It would fire but wouldn't start. A co worker came along and he said try and open the air box lid. After a couple of try's it started. I made a stop close to home and it restarted fine. I'm going out in a bit to see if it will start. Any one else have a warm restart issue with there's and what did you do to fix it.

I've never really heard of that issue as you talk. I would bet when you tipped it oil ran into the air box and that gummed something up. After running it for a while it all burnt out and all is well. If you have more problems, then it is obviously something different.
I say oil ran into your air box because the breather for the crank flow into it and when on it's side, the oil pours out the crankcase and into the air box.
On my turbo sled, i have a small k&n filter on the breather line, even when I dont' put the sled on it's side, the breather still shoots some oil into the filter. No amount to be worried about but enough to notice.
Have fun on the sled, I put almost 9000 miles on my 06. Loved every minute.

I went out and tried to restart it after it sat for a bit. It fired right up. I couldn't help taking it for a little spin in the field.

Tips on 06 Apex are dependant on how many miles you have on it and what's been done to it by previous owner. In stock form, some had darting issues, and overheating issues under certain conditions. Easy fixes. Lots of good info on here if you do a Search.

gitrdun said:
Tips on 06 Apex are dependant on how many miles you have on it and what's been done to it by previous owner. In stock form, some had darting issues, and overheating issues under certain conditions. Easy fixes. Lots of good info on here if you do a Search.

It darts a lot and overheats way to much. It has C/A skis on it with single carbides. I have been reading and found a lot of use full info on TY.

Back