• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I just put in new HID lights on my apex

SLEDMONSTER said:
kurt sells the best hid lights and stands behind thim there the only lights i will buy

X2!

I bought one of the very first HID kits from Kurt and I had a ballast fail after one year which he promptly replaced under warranty. The other original ballast failed one year later (last month) and Kurt replaced it free of charge as well. Kurt has a new and improved ballast now and I wanted a matching set so he gave me one free of charge and sold me a second one at half price. Kurt was busy getting ready for a sled trip but he made sure that the ballasts were shipped before he left.

Kurt informed me that my experience is not normal as he is seeing only about a 2% failure rate which is the industry standard with this type of a product. Kurt also confirmed what I already knew which is that heat and vibration are the enemy of electronics. Therefore I mounted my new ballasts with rubber grommets and rubber washers on each side of the mounting tabs which should reduce vibration and promote better cooling because of the air gap which is created on the back side of the ballasts.

I have attached some pictures of my ballasts mounted to each side of the headlight pod mounting bracket. Because I am anal about this sort of thing I really like the symmetrical positions and the fact that you can see them through the vents which also should promote better airflow for cooling. I really like the black color and the Sled Start logo on the new ballasts. The only downside is that my symmetrical mounting positions inherently results in one of the ballasts being mounted with the logo upside down which may require more therapy for someone with OCD like me. LOL!

Thanks again Kurt! What will it cost to get one ballast with the Sled Start logo printed with an inverted orientation? LOL!

Attachments

• DSC01181.JPG
    DSC01181.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC01180.JPG
    DSC01180.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC01176.JPG
    DSC01176.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC01175.JPG
    DSC01175.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 124
Dave, that looks like a great place to mount those. It's hard to drill into that metal with that small of a bit. I was sure to break at least one bit.

I will have to hit up the Phazer forum to see if anyone found a place to put ballasts on the phazer. It's the main reason holding me back on putting a set on it as well as the Apex. There is no room at all on the Phazer.

biffdotorg said:
Dave, that looks like a great place to mount those. It's hard to drill into that metal with that small of a bit. I was sure to break at least one bit.

I will have to hit up the Phazer forum to see if anyone found a place to put ballasts on the phazer. It's the main reason holding me back on putting a set on it as well as the Apex. There is no room at all on the Phazer.

I did not break any drill bits. Just use a center punch and go slow and easy with the drill. The metal is too thin to tap threads into so I used self tapping sheet metal screws. I found some nice black ones with a large washer head at Auto Zone in the auto trim hardware selection.

Contact Kurt at Sled Start, he told me that he has collected photo's from other customers showing the various ballast mounting locations that have been used on the different model sleds. I am sure that Kurt has found the best mounting location for a Phazer.

Back