• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Inexpensive Navigation system - Garmin Nuvi

It sounds like Yamadoo sometimes rides alone..I do this sometimes also, when I do I try to ride popular trails in case I get into trouble with breakdown or accident...might be a good idea to get a personal satellite emergency beacon so the authorities can find you in a real emergency when cell communication is lost. Joe
Joe you are right, I am an early retiree among my riding buddies so frequently am solo, I like you try to stay on well ridden trails just in case. Have been helped in past so always stop to help if possible.

Does any Garmin Nuvi series work for snowmobile trail mapping, or do some Nuvi's series have more/better "mapping" properties then others. I own two Nuvi for the car. Not familiar with the Nuvi trail/breadcrumb feature, but I haven't looked. Thanks
I have the 1490. I just plugged in the Ontario Snowmobile micro sd and then went into settings and turned the map on. Worked perfect. The breadcrumb trail is also turned on thru settings. Its a hidden setting. I found out how to turn mine with a quick google search.

Nice mounting job. I did the same on my Viper stealing from RockerDan's design and mounted to my steering as well. I did fry one last year so this year I went crazy with clear silicon. The crack around the touch screen and the housing as well as the seams around the device is very subseptible to water infiltration. I took post-it notes and covered the screen other than a 1/16" gap around the perimeter. Then I pushed silicon into that gap as well as filled the speaker and seams all the way around the unit. This will should keep everything nice and sealed.

I followed your lead and ran a bead of silicone around the edge of the screen.

Attachments

• 2020-11-26 06.08.53.jpg
    2020-11-26 06.08.53.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 140
Hi Confused, I also have a Garmin 680t and I just downloaded the RELIVE app into my iPhone X...how does the Relive app talk / communicate with the Garmin 680? Thanks for sharing safety info. Joe

Using Garmin Base Camp, take the ride file and upload it to the Relive app. It’s probably more complicated than that. I haven’t done one for a few months. I’ll see if I can do a step by step.

I've been using an 8" Android tablet for about 5 years.

Benefits: plenty large, multiple base maps (street, topo, sat imagery, custom, etc), able to put any overlay you feel like generating on your computer ahead of time (trail system for example), customizable display, able to use for all kinds of other daily stuff (Netflix in the hotel, email, etc), as you may already have one - cost=free!

Drawbacks: Bright sunny days the display can be difficult to read, not waterproof (though I haven't had an issue), snow dust is fine on the screen but water droplets will cause it to go wonky, you have to take your gloves off to use the screen (touchscreen compatible gloves solve this).

Just thought I'd post another option. I used a Nuvi for awhile, but I find the tablet more versatile.

Attachments

• DSCF2409.JPG
    DSCF2409.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 100

Benefits: plenty large, multiple base maps (street, topo, sat imagery, custom, etc), able to put any overlay you feel like generating on your computer ahead of time (trail system for example), customizable display, able to use for all kinds of other daily stuff (Netflix in the hotel, email, etc), as you may already have one - cost=free!

Drawbacks: Bright sunny days the display can be difficult to read, not waterproof (though I haven't had an issue), snow dust is fine on the screen but water droplets will cause it to go wonky, you have to take your gloves off to use the screen (touchscreen compatible gloves solve this).

Just thought I'd post another option. I used a Nuvi for awhile, but I find the tablet more versatile.
Mooseflyer, I used to have a Venture TF, can you tell me if you have track drone around 35mph? I'm just wondering if it was my sled or inherent to the model. Thanks, Joe

Mooseflyer, I used to have a Venture TF, can you tell me if you have track drone around 35mph? I'm just wondering if it was my sled or inherent to the model. Thanks, Joe

Yes, I do have the drone. Most all Ventures do from what I understand (my '06 did too). Try some active noise cancelling earbuds when you ride - they're like magic :)

Hey Mooseflyer. I did the same thing with a tablet on my boat. I sourced an anti glare screen protector for it. It cut the glare considerably. You might have one already but if not it might be helpful.

Yes, I do have the drone. Most all Ventures do from what I understand (my '06 did too). Try some active noise cancelling earbuds when you ride - they're like magic :)
Thanks for the info on your sled, I bought Bose noise cancelling earbuds, it did help marginally yet it was a pain trying to get my helmet on without knocking them out...the drone drove me crazy because where I ride the noise is right in trail speed. I finally sold my TF and got a Sidewinder 2up the STX-GT..no more drone. I probably should have kept the TF as a backup sled, it was a great sled and kind of regret selling it. Over 40mph it was awesome. Joe

I have been buying Nuvi’s for years and setting them up with maps. I have yet to have one die from water or cold.. But the USB port on the back has come loose. So i am sure to twist tie the power cord for strain relief.

I have found that the LM models are nice for the lifetime map updates. And the sled maps I update on my own. The ram cradles are the way to go for sure. This season I am working on hardwire kits for power. I have a couple more on the way to test.

Attachments

• 890A5116-C165-4DA1-8902-CA718D435510.jpeg
    890A5116-C165-4DA1-8902-CA718D435510.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 102
  • D901B7C6-6E87-47FC-BC26-15E1083EACB6.jpeg
    D901B7C6-6E87-47FC-BC26-15E1083EACB6.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 97
  • D659C989-C10C-46E9-8519-FF3335B6ED02.jpeg
    D659C989-C10C-46E9-8519-FF3335B6ED02.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 96

Back