• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is the Venture MP for me?

Jason Harrell

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Arctic Cat F570, 2016 Yamaha Venture mp
I know it is kind of early fall to be posting or even thinking about snowmobiles, but I am trying to research much as I can. I have been looking for a 4-stroke 2-up sled. I am considering the Yamaha Venture MP and the Ski Doo Expedition Sport 900 ace. A lot of people out here in western Alaska have gone to Ski Doo...more like a mass exodus from Polaris in recent years. Anyways...I have a gut feeling that the Yamaha Venture mp is right for me, as I want something for hauling a sled full of logs, or caribou, and just for fun with wife and kids. Also, needs to be good with gas mileage. I have also looked at the new Arctic Cat Panteras, but I don't have that kind of $$ sitting around. I would appreciate your opinion if you have experience, or know of others with experience on these sleds. I really like the reviews i'm seeing about Yamaha reliability, and cold-starting capabilities.

Thanks

Last edited:

Welcome to TY! :sled1:

There are a few threads here that ask the same question but this one in particular has similar experiences and insight to what you're asking. You can also scan through the threads in this section for other experiences.

The MP is a different animal altogether. Not a pure work sled but not a pure touring sled neither. Maybe a hybrid of both. It is a fun sled but it ain't no boondocker. It has pretty good floatation but if you are buying this sled new, negotiate with the dealer to get VK style wide skis because the Tuner skis are garbage in deep snow. Or just buy a set of good wide skis and sell the tuners as new take-offs. That thread I linked does talk about the skis. I think they went backwards when they went to the Tuners because they say it's a work sled and capable in deep snow but those skis are a trail really trail only.

It's never too early to talk about sleds. Winter is coming! :letsnow:

Thanks mooseman...like the name...I am getting ready for the start of our moose season here:die. I have been following the threads, and am overall really happy with what I have been reading. I believe that ( with the wife's approval) we will be venture mp owners this winter...with Viking skis of course....and probably 96 or so studs. I'm really impressed with the yamaha's cold weather starting abilities. I like our arctic cat 570 for playing, but need what the Yamaha venture has to offer. I admit...it took awhile to get past the looks of the front end...but looks won't get me anywhere out hereo_O. It has grown on me

Yeah, it has a "love it or hate it" look. For cold weather starting, some have had issues starting in extreme cold weather, some having to resort to making a tent with tarps and and using heaters or a hair drier. Also some install a coolant heater but for either of these solutions you need electricity.

Here's a thread on it
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/difficult-starting-in-extreme-cold.133621/

Thanks for your input Mooseman...and thanks for the welcome. I would be interested in more input from Stan Zuray on his cold weather starting experiences. From what I've read, sounds like the venture mp is like my arctic cat 4-stroke atv. At about 10 below or colder, I turn the key enough to prime the fuel system. I do that 3 times, and the wheeler usually starts with no issue. I don't know why, but it seems to work. I don't concern myself with weather below -25f...I'm kind of a fair weather snow-goer. My kids on the other hand...they have been looking forward to snow since it melted this spring.:winter::letsnow: I tell them we need to put away salmon and berries, get us a moose, then it can snow all it wants.

It's still slow here so you might now get any responses until the fall when most start to get the itch. I answered because I'm subscribed to the entire section for any new posts but the entire site usually gets quiet for the non-winter season. I'm also a winter guy, hate the heat.

Winter is coming my friend!

Thanks for your input Rayclar..no offense taken here. I know pretty much all sleds nowadays are good, reliable sleds. I believe it all comes down to each person's personal needs,and riding style...along with a person's size(Mooseman has some opinions on that, but I am 5 ft 8, medium built..shouldn't be an issue). I hope sometime this early winter that trail breakers, or trappers such as Stan Zuray may provide some input from their experiences. Out in the bush, reliability, and a sled's ability to get me home day in and day out is of the most importance. That's why I am strongly leaning toward a yamaha. I am on the fence with the ski doo 4 strokes until I start hearing about people putting 15 or 20,000 miles on them with regularity. There are plenty of stories about these kinds of miles with Yamaha sleds, and I can appreciate that. If I was just having fun and ditch banging, or running in powder, or trying to max out speed on lakes or the river, I can think of 20 other sleds to buy before I buy a venture mp, but those kinds of sleds have all-too-often left people stranded here. Most are fortunate that they were in hunting parties, and were able to get home, some have set off search parties to rescue them. I am off the road system, and hundreds of miles away from the nearest dealership, so a noisy 4-stroke or some ice buildup will not be a factor in my decision. Comfort will play a part, as I have a small family and we like to get out together.

Well I am in the middle of purchasing a 2011 Venture Lite with 318 miles on it. Was not looking seriously for a sled at this time, but the price is right, and the wife approves. I really appreciate this site, as it has a lot of support and insight/ideas.

Wife approved? Go for it! (Before she changes her mind ;):D)

Oh believe me!!:D I was on the phone with the bank in a New York minute...am surprised she likes the style...Was in Anchorage with the family a week ago and stopped in several dealerships. Was leaning toward buying the RS Venture with power steering, or the Venture mp. When I saw the ad for the Venture Lite, just could not pass. Kind of a sad back story on the machine's owner, but will try to give it a good home where the caribou roam. I will want to add premium shocks, and maybe change skis..will see how they work first. Probably a float plate, and studs.

After doing the tunnel modification and new skis and flotation plates it will feel like a diff sled (no ice build up and great floatation ) I've studded mine also you will need tunnel protection but that is eliminated once you put in the false tunnel (dual exhaust !).Mine is a 07

Attachments

• P9052308.JPG
    P9052308.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 500
  • P9052297.JPG
    P9052297.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 837
Thanks campsleder..am planning on the tunnel mod...have seen the mods. I am considering the Simmons gen 2 skis unless I find something different. I will make trail at times for logging. We use wood heat along with toyo stove heat...also get logs for my sawmill

Heartbroken:oops:...the venture lite deal I had going fell through. The wife says we should just buy a new 2016 venture mp:jump:...will watch out to see if a Yamaha promotion comes up. I must admit I looked at the ski doo expedition sport 900 ace...maybe it has a short term edge in some areas, but I have to go with reliability, and I really enjoyed visiting one of the Yamaha dealers in Anchorage. Watched Stan Zuray on Yukon men the other day...the guy is a genius the way he fixed his son's overheating issue with his Polaris.

I'd be :-o if my wife told me that!

If you need deep snow floatation, try to deal with the dealer to swap out the Tuner skis with wide ones, like from an MTX (better) or the VK. Tuners are junk in powder. They'll sink like a hot rock through snow. He can sell the Tuners as new if they aren't installed on the sled after uncrating.

Well, my wife and I are owners of a 2016 venture mp. I did some last minute soul searching and nearly bought an expedition with 900 ace, but it is unproven yet. Anyways, came to my senses and got the venture mp. I need a proven performer, ice build-up and all. Couldn't be happier...temps dropping below freezing, snow is coming here. Only thing I didn't have done is swap out the skis...will wait until I try it out and read up to make a good educated decision.:letsnow::rocks::-o:4STroke:

Back