• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

It broke, did I win

DigitalFusion said:
Blu2U2 said:
Not sure if the same thing happened but at 55 miles my sled jumped out of gear when I was cruising at 80 MPH on Lake Winnebago. At first I thought I blew a belt. The sled acted as if it was in neutral. Dealer said the tension/pre-load may not have been set right when the sled was assembled.

Anyone else have this happen???

as in the tension on the chain in the chaincase?

Yes, my dealer pointed to the black round piece (reverse servo) that is mounted to the top of the chain case that needs to have the correct tension when installed.

THANKS Harleywarden for the pic!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 108
Farm dog said:
My sled is stock unless you count the dual staggered carbides and Arctic Cat bag that goes between the instrument panel and steering post. The track is 1.6" that comes on the XTX.
Was cruising down the trail at 60 or so when you could feel and hear something wasn't right. Shut it off and started checking things. The belt looks brand new, clutch looks good, no parts or pieces that I can see. It makes a nice growling sound when being towed. Had to be towed about a mile by my buddies doo. At least it was still along the road 3 hours later when we got back. Dropping it off at the dealer in a couple hours on the way home.

This is the same issue I had with mine. Farm dog did you get yours fixed and now have it at home?

I dropped it off at the dealer during the night on my way home to get fixed. It was 6pm when I got it loaded up and was coming home anyhow so I didn't have it looked at in MI. I was really liking the sled until that happened. I left the turbo Nytro parked the whole time to ride it and get it broke in. I had some darting issues the first night so I put on dual staggered carbides and that took care of any darting. I highly recommend the goggle bag that Cat uses. It's great for phones or gps and keeps them warm.

My plan was to have about 500 miles on it when I got done riding and then check the chain and change the oil. So no, it was not checked at 300 miles

Call me what you want I was blue until yesterday. Even thought about red viper. Denial is first stage. Hope you get over it quick.

It is not my intention to start anything but don't bash on Banks for his post. I was also blue blinded and then I bought my RMK 600. That sled has been pull and go. I changed some things like skis for personal preference but I really didn't need to. I back the thing out of my shop with the no extra weight added electronic reverse and it sits and idles in the driveway like like my Yamaha's did until it gets to operating temperature. In the meantime I put my gear on. It hasn't even fouled a plug. That was a pretty harsh realization to me that modern 2-strokes have come a long way since the carb'd, '02 Ski-doo I had when I switched to Yamaha back in late '05.

Obviously I still like Yamaha motors or else I wouldn't still post on the forums and read what I can about the Viper. But in all honestly the Viper scared me. I consider Cat the bottom of the barrel and after my '08 Nytro experience, there was no way in hell I was going to buy another 1st year Yamaha model, especially one built by Cat.

I'm disappointed to read posts like this but I'm really not that surprised because Cat had chain case issues. The Cat chassis rides and handles quite well and is a huge step up in performance over a Deltabox or Nytro. It's just too bad the Cat problems appear to be bleeding through on the Viper. The Yamaha reverse equipped chaincase was bullet proof IMO. Too bad it couldn't have been incorporated onto the Viper. I know the Vipers being run in the Iron Dog are working to remove the reverse gear and it is not as easy and cheap as it sounds.

I'd have to double check about the specifics but as I understood it, if you remove reverse on a Viper you've got to run a Cat driven clutch because the jackshafts are different between the ZR 7000 and Viper. Cat parts allow for the removal of reverse.

Back