• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

It broke, did I win

AKrider said:
I'd have to double check about the specifics but as I understood it, if you remove reverse on a Viper you've got to run a Cat driven clutch because the jackshafts are different between the ZR 7000 and Viper. Cat parts allow for the removal of reverse.
I think in the chain case side there the same so it should be easy to do , but I hope they can figure out this so I can keep reverse , but if I got to take it out then so be it

Anybody ACTUALLY know what these failures are? Dealer tell you what was actually broken? Take a look yourself? Girlfriend wants a Viper now after her supercharged Phazer blew a pulley up and I would very much like to know the actual failure on these Vipers if I could?

Thanks!

AKrider said:
I'd have to double check about the specifics but as I understood it, if you remove reverse on a Viper you've got to run a Cat driven clutch because the jackshafts are different between the ZR 7000 and Viper. Cat parts allow for the removal of reverse.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but you are mislead. You can delete reverse And not run cat clutches.

stingray719 said:
Anybody ACTUALLY know what these failures are? Dealer tell you what was actually broken? Take a look yourself? Girlfriend wants a Viper now after her supercharged Phazer blew a pulley up and I would very much like to know the actual failure on these Vipers if I could?

Thanks!

My dealer said the reverse servo was not installed with the correct tension so this caused the gear to pop out. No damage just sounds bad and sled acts as it is in neutral. It sounds like the some metal nuts and bolts are in a metal coffee can moving around. Not the best sound you want to hear from a brand new sled!

Good to know Blu2U2, glad yours is fixed now.

Blu2U2 said:
stingray719 said:

Thanks!

My dealer said the reverse servo was not installed with the correct tension so this caused the gear to pop out. No damage just sounds bad and sled acts as it is in neutral. It sounds like the some metal nuts and bolts are in a metal coffee can moving around. Not the best sound you want to hear from a brand new sled!

Any reason the dealer might have had it out to add oil? Or did it come this way from factory?

Thanks!

The sleds come with oil from the factory, dealers only would top it up on inspection if need be.

stingray719 said:

Thanks!

Well so far the only issues that we know of are stupid little things like a gear box linkage adjustment. We had 7 to 10 of them at the TY ride this weekend and put them through the paces. Both boosted and N/A and all but 1 went home under its own power the one that did not was the reverse issue that just required an adjustment.

I had an issue but it was cause they tuned mine very rich on the turbo install and I ran out of fuel then had a vapor lock in the fuel rail - I was getting 3 miles to the gallon less than the other boosted and N/A versions putting me 1 mile short of the gas stop. of the 4 listed on here with problems it was all reverse actuator linkage situations and not blown chains or gears.

HYFLYR said:
AKrider said:

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but you are mislead. You can delete reverse And not run cat clutches.

After talking to my buddy last night I did confuse the issue. The guys I heard about eliminated reverse for reliability for the Iron Dog and also wanted to gear the sleds up for more speed. Something about needing a Cat jackshaft to allow for more gearing choices. The Cat and Viper jackshafts are different and a Cat jackshaft can't accept a Yamaha driven clutch.

Nytro40th said:
The sleds come with oil from the factory, dealers only would top it up on inspection if need be.

Ok, you see where I am going with this. Were these "failures" caused by the dealer removing this item and not reinstalling it correctly? At least now I am confident when we get one I can make sure this is checked.

Thanks!

I think it is not dealer but factory issue but yes you can get it checked and if it does happen in the field you have to shift to reverse and back and it will engage but you want to get it looked at.

I tried the reverse trick on mine to see if it would work to engage so I could get it off the trailer. It didn't work. I'm waiting to hear from the dealer what the problem is. To be honest, I would rather it be something major that broke instead of a reverse switch issue. Because about the time I race somebody and it kicks out of gear and I have to put it in reverse to go forward, I may get a little p o'ed.

Just wanted to give an update. The dealer said everything in the chain case looked good. No stripped gears, no shavings. So they are still trying to figure it out.

07 Phazer every once inawhile I had to lift up the back of the sled and let it drop to ground a couple times before the reverse would work. Usually after riding in warm conditions and then got cold.

Back