• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just got back...let the fun begin

MyOutdoors

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder Ltx Se
Long day but I just got back from my "new to me" 2020 LTX-SE. I cant say I wasn't uncomfortable carrying a big wad of cash and doing the purchase in a parking lot, but concealed carry was my phone a friend option.

The sled only has 261 miles and 20.4 hrs on it. It was sitting in a shed...no mice supposedly. It fired right up but my concern is the guy I bought it from seemed like he was clueless. All he could talk about was how fast it was and that I needed to hold on. It looks like the coolant tank is empty? Everything started to oxidize from sitting. Belt is sitting low in the secondary. Seat bolt is rusted and snapped off and he supposedly replaced the battery due to it being dead...de

I'm thinking to myself...how can you F/@#K up something so nice is so little time? Did I make a mistake...1st break-in miles are the most important. Heat cycles was what I learned with my 06' Apex. But maybe this guy just rode it like he stole it, which isnt that bad either for break-in? My OCD was definitely kicking in on the ride home.

Anyway, Ive already grabbed a set of Sly Dog Attack skis, list will be:

Full oil, Filter, Fluid change, including getting rid of whatever gas is in there
Tighten all clamps(hoping this caused the coolant loss)
BOP's roll over bypass, Chaincase gaskets, New 21t top gear and brass shift fork shims
Tackweld chaincasee roller
Purchase Hurricane offset tool and clean clutches
Probably rivnut the chaincase side

Any thoughts or further suggestions on any of this...I'm all ears!

Attachments

• SW2.JPG
    SW2.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 106

I currently don't have a Sidewinder in my fleet...yet but in the reading up on them, one thing that was omitted on your list was the drive axle bearing. Good chance it hasn't spun yet but then again, there's a chance it has.

I currently don't have a Sidewinder in my fleet...yet but in the reading up on them, one thing that was omitted on your list was the drive axle bearing. Good chance it hasn't spun yet but then again, there's a chance it has.
Definitely on my BOP list! I forgot to list it. Thanks for the reminder!

Long day but I just got back from my "new to me" 2020 LTX-SE. I cant say I wasn't uncomfortable carrying a big wad of cash and doing the purchase in a parking lot, but concealed carry was my phone a friend option.

The sled only has 261 miles and 20.4 hrs on it. It was sitting in a shed...no mice supposedly. It fired right up but my concern is the guy I bought it from seemed like he was clueless. All he could talk about was how fast it was and that I needed to hold on. It looks like the coolant tank is empty? Everything started to oxidize from sitting. Belt is sitting low in the secondary. Seat bolt is rusted and snapped off and he supposedly replaced the battery due to it being dead...de

I'm thinking to myself...how can you F/@#K up something so nice is so little time? Did I make a mistake...1st break-in miles are the most important. Heat cycles was what I learned with my 06' Apex. But maybe this guy just rode it like he stole it, which isnt that bad either for break-in? My OCD was definitely kicking in on the ride home.

It always amazes me on how some people neglect the items they purchased with their hard earned cash.

As the 998s have a tendency to overheat I would pay close attention to the cooling system as the coolant tank appeared to be empty. It is pretty common to find loose hose clamps ect.

Coolent gets low on lots of them. Boils off or whatever, so just keep topping off tank, it will then level its self off and be all set

Coolent gets low on lots of them. Boils off or whatever, so just keep topping off tank, it will then level its self off and be all set
Yes I had to top mine off several times when I first got it. Probably trapped air bleeding out Mines fine now holds level perfect

I think I found the coolant leak...looks like a clamp near by. Is this where most have seen leakage?
Going to also try and clean up the oxidation

Attachments

• coolant leak.jpg
    coolant leak.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 92
  • oxidize1.jpg
    oxidize1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 91
  • oxidize2.jpg
    oxidize2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 84
  • oxidize3.jpg
    oxidize3.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 89
Congratulations on the barn find. Other than being a little crispy from sitting around, let 'er rip!

Anyway, Ive already grabbed a set of Sly Dog Attack skis, list will be:

Full oil, Filter, Fluid change, including getting rid of whatever gas is in there
Tighten all clamps(hoping this caused the coolant loss)
BOP's roll over bypass, Chaincase gaskets, New 21t top gear and brass shift fork shims
Tackweld chaincasee roller
Purchase Hurricane offset tool and clean clutches
Probably rivnut the chaincase side

IMO, I would go over the whole sled like what you're saying no matter who I bought it from or what condition it appeared to be in. Yes, do all of what you write. Pressure test cooling system. Should hold 20 psi overnight (qualified by allowance for cooling off as night temp drops - that's maybe 1-2 psi).
Do a compression test on engine just because.
It is sometimes said, the worst thing on a sled is letting it sit for a long time without being used. I wouldn't worry about whatever break-in it had or didn't have. This Yamaha 998 is really well engineered and durable even without optimal break-in.

Looks to me someone trailered your sled without a cover also . I would wash it down good on a nice warm day and get some of the storage crud off it too! Congrats on your find .

Looks to me someone trailered your sled without a cover also . I would wash it down good on a nice warm day and get some of the storage crud off it too! Congrats on your find
Yup, total moron move. Gave it a nice wash with simple green yesterday, already looks ten times better.

Back