• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

kit to stop hyfax wear

drunkenrich said:
is this the best kit to stop the common hyfax wear problem on the xtx?
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ell+wheels

A buddy of mine went with his brand new 2011 xtx apex and did 400 miles with the stock wheels and burned off the hyfax. He installed these wheels and he's now gone 2000 miles on the hyfax with little or no wear. these wheels rock!!!

Port Snowman said:
bagadonitz said:
You know you just made me realize something. On our last ride I burned way less gas than the 600 polaris that I'm usually identical too. Usually we burned the same for the ride we were on but this time I burned almost 8 liters less. Could there really be that much less rolling resistance to cause that?

I think it's entirely possible. I do have the add-on wheels at the "curve".
My sled moves easier now than it did before, there's simply no question...
I replaced all the stockers, the inboard and outboard...

I have a 2008 RTX stretched to 144" with a total of 8 Excell wheels. One set at the curve, 4 at the stock locations and one extra set half way between the outside fronts and the ones at the curve.

Much better slide wear and like I said, less rolling resistance.

i like what im hearing about the ulmer wheels....my next question is are you running stock hy-fax ??? or are you using graphite wide slides ????

My hyfax were just about ready to be replaced about 1600 miles. I put new ones on and added 4 Kimpex ski doo/polaris idler wheels on the outside of the skid ONLY. I also added a small yamaha wheel kit on the outside of the skid behind the front outer wheels. Not sure it actually does anything, but I am sure it helps. I did not mod the mount and install the front inners, they are still the ones from the factory. I have 4923 miles as of yesterday on my SECOND pair of slides. I have not rode in northern wisconsin or michigan this year, only northeastern wisconsin so snow conditions have been fair to good all season. I would estimate I have another 1000 miles left on these yet. Cost of upgrade for the four wheels was UNDER $100!!! The extra wheel kit was about $60 but I don't think it is needed. It takes about 10 minutes to bolt the new wheels on.

So for about $160 and ten minutes I have 3300+ miles and still going on my first set since I installed the larger wheels.
You don't need any special kit, mounts, extra wheels or anything. Just $100 for four aftermarket wheels from the dealer and 10 minutes. My yamaha dealer sells the wheels for $22 each and has them in stock.

chris6641 said:
With the 8 wheel excell kit for the xtx, where are most people installing the extra wheel pair? front or rear skid?

I only put the four on the back along with a new set of Hyfax. That was 1500 km's ago and currently I'm showing minimal to ZERO signs of wear. Definately worth the $120.00

Again, XTX users, just install 4 outer Ski Doo/Polaris wheels on the outside of the skid to replace your factory wheels. $100 and it is fixed!! Put new Hyfax on at that same time.
I put new ones on at 1600 miles. I now have 5500+ and they still have hundreds of miles left. I have rode in all different snow conditions and no problems.

I was getting 300-400 km on a set of hyfax. And mine did not stop wearing when they got close to the wear mark. I had to change sliders on the trail one weekend, they were paper thin after 300km.

After installing the 8 wheel Excell kit i have put on 2000 km and the wheels and sliders look like new. Best investment i made on this sled so far. Next investment will be a real fuel tank and skis.

This is the best kit you can get to reduce slider wear.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 99

Back