• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Kwick Clamp & Trailer Shock

Safety Sean

Extreme
I am thinking about buying a Kwick Klamp tie down system. Does anyone use one & what are your comments on it. From looking at it it seems that it would be a really fast way to secure the front of the sled.

Next question - my trailer won't stay in the tilt position after I back my sled off it and its a PITA trying to hold it tilted with one foot while I inch the sled forward until the skis are on the deck without running over my foot. And of course when I do get it in position to jump on & drive the sled up onto the trailer it spins out. Anyway I am looking at getting one of these hydraulic shocks to keep the trailer in the tilted position but am fearful that the strut will bend when I drive the sled onto it. Or - does it still keep the trailer in a tilted position at this point requiring me to pull down on the front of the trailer to get it to go back down again. Any comments would be appreciated.

I carry about a foot long piece of pressure treated 6" x 8" or similar size wood that I just throw in the back of the truck. I just tilt the trailer up and then toss that between the tongue and the trailer deck. Holds the deck up and comes out easy and cost zero dollars.

I also have the Kwik Klamp and love it for being very quick and easy to use and also has the lock if you want extra security. The only complaint I have with it is that couple times I've done alot of road running on a ride and really wore the crap out of my carbides and thus lowered the height of the ski profile so the clamp wound up being a little loose after clamping. This is really more a problem with the type of ski glides I have in my trailer though, I think. My guides are deep channeled and I think sometimes the skis get perfectly situated so the carbides get in the channels and then sit lower.

Sean, you can easily adjust the position of the axle. If you move the axle forward 6 inches or so, you'll be moving the fulcrum point until the back of the trailer is heavier than the front. I did this with my 8X10 LoadRite and it worked perfectly. There are 2 U-bolts on each side, I think I did this while the trailer was hooked to the truck. Measure with a tape to make sure everything is square.

Good luck

Oh man, if you're going to relocate the axle, be carefull. Not going to say it won't work, only caution that there's a good chance you'll create a monster that won't be seen until you're rolling down a hill a little faster than you've gone before - and the trailer starts swaying side to side - BIG TIME. The trailer HAS TO HAVE about 10% of the gross load for tongue weight to prevent this from happening. Moving the axle forward will have a tendency to lighten this weight.

I just got a new trailer from Ashfords. I had a tilt assist installed. It's basically 2 pieces of metal bolted together to provide friction when tilting the trailer. I find it great. I also have the superclamp system. Expensive but worth every cent. I can get some pics of the tilt assist if you want. I wouldn't go screwing with the axel position

Phazernut - some pics would be great, but then again its a pretty crappy day for taking pics unless the trailer is inside. What size is the trailer? I find Ashford's a great place to deal with and that is where my 5X10 came from plus I've had them install hitches & wiring on trucks for me over the years. They are also a major sponsor of the Janeway ATV Run which brings them up a few more notches in my book.

And no I do not plan on messing around with the axle placement - too risky for someone whose handle is Safety Sean. FYI - I work as a HSEQ/Disability Mananger.

If you have the Superclamp you have something different than the Kwick Clamp - same principle but just a little different execution, plus its a lot cheaper as you can use your own squeeze bar with the Kwik Clamp. I will probably order one from Royal Distributing plus a 2" Rox Adjustable Riser to get my bars a little bit higher.

Anyway with what we are getting today plus whats forecast for Sunday we should be able to get back to riding soon.

I'll get some pics tomorrow when the snow stops. I have the 5X10 as well. Great trailer. I tow it with a TDI Golf.

Do a search here on the quick clamp. From what I remember it is not as good as it first appears.

Let it snow

Craig

I have two superclamps and would never go without them again. With the salt guard in place the superclamps make short work to latch down the sleds and they are lockable. Very easy to adjust.

Craig,

Does Max have the Superclamp in stock & what is he charging for it?

A TDI Golf is an interesting tow vehicle. How do you find it on the highway? I imagine that the mileage is a bit better than my 4wd 1/2 Ford.

Sean

I use Superclamps and use the old tie down to hold up the trailer.
Superclamps are great I will not use anything less.. :Rockon:

I ran into the clamps on the net somewhere yesterday for $140 for the front and $109 for the rear... Now I just need to figure out where????

Sean
Yes he has them in stock. I paid around 150 for the front clamp and 120 for the rear. This was part of the purchase of the trailer. I think his prices are the same as royal.

My Golf is great for towing the sled. I pulled it to Buchans for Christmas with all of the Christmas stuff included with the wife and 5 year old. I think I had to down shift a couple of times when a moron got in front of me on the hills. No problem to maintain good highway speed towing it either. My fuel mileage took a hit towing though...it dropped from 55MPG all the way down to 40 :o|

Craig

Sean

Send me your email in a PM. I can.t seem to get a pic of the tilt assist to load to this site

Craig

Back