• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Less than 600 miles. Belt gone!!

jeffT

Pro
Anyone have belt issues under 600 miles. Today i shredded mine at 594 miles. I think a belt should last alot longer than 600 miles. Is this a warranty thing? im guessing it isnt but just wondering what would make it shred this early

To be honest I think the Yami might have a bad batch of belts, I ride with pretty much all die hard Yami guys and they all state how long lasting those belts are. I had one go at 300 miles and another at 1500 miles, another Nytro I ride with chewed one up at 1300 or so. I don't give theses belts much of a break in so that def does not help, but Yamaha belts are cheap in comparison to the other three so I am fine with every 1500 or so, I just cant seem to be paitent enoughf to break em in.

i blew mine at about 700 miles. bad thing was i was in the mountains without a spare! dumb mistake never do that again! BUt when it went it went in two stages, first the top half of the belt came off so it was still rideable, then limped it back to the cabin tryinging to stay at the same speed as much as possible and went another 40 miles before the rest went and i was only 6 miles from the cabin at that point. Also i believe the second belt number is the belts for Phazers not sure what the diff is.

Check centre to centre distance & also if clutch is slipping in the primary. You will have a black ring in the bottom of the primary shives.
I have 1000 hard; toturous; grueling; flat out; brutal miles on my belt & just shimmed the secondary today!

i have 4000 miles on my XTX, pretty hard on it, i dont baby it at all thats for sure. Havnt looked at it in 4000 miles, but seems to running just like it was new!!

belts

4000 kms and first belt gone, just a strand off the side so I can use it for a spare. The new belt is a sitting a little low in the shieves so I'll probably have to shim the secondaries.

The entire outside of the belt blew off. I limped it about a mile and then changed it. Lucky my buddy's rx-ton belt was the same. Oh well, have 2 brand new belts now and im gonna keep the 2nd with me at all times.

One major adjustment to check when blowing belts quickly is the Clutch Alignment. There is a tool you can buy to check it but the dealers have them and usually only charge a couple of bucks to check it. When the clutch alignment is off, the belt usually shreds from the sides because it's rubbing against the sides. Having mis-aligned clutches also puts a tremendous amount of strain on the crank and should be fixed ASAP.

Since your belt peeled away from the top, I bet you just got a bad belt and it may have got a little overheated too.

My 03 RX1 has 8500 miles on the original belt. Belt looks like new, no top cord pop out or cracking. As a matter of fact, I have NEVER blown an 8DN belt going all the way back to my 97 700SX. My Phazer FX also has 3500 miles on the original 8GS belt.

Back in the day I never got more than 1200 miles out of a belt on my Exciters, V-maxes and SRV no matter what belt I ran (87X 89L TMX1118 or 138-4416)

I have 5300 miles on my Nytro. Never blown a belt. Although I changed out the original belt at about 3000 miles due to it getting worn and my buddy was beating me with his REV 600 sdi. Once I went to the new belt, he didn't stand a chance. I have 2300 miles on the newer belt and it looks and acts like the day I put it in my Nytro. Anyone blowing a belt alot either has a bad belt or clutch is out of wack.

Back