• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

lets hear it for the 2020 Viper

View attachment 147471 View attachment 147472 View attachment 147477 View attachment 147478 View attachment 147471 View attachment 147472 View attachment 147472 Seen the 2020s at show yesterday. Checked out Viper as I'm interested in this sled. Do like the SE for colours, but gonna need a shock swap to suite my riding. The GT seems to be coloured more for the female crowd, but does have nice options for being an in season model. Really like the fact that the Viper is approx 50 lbs lighter in weight over the big brother turbo and will have no ice built up in tunnel with the absence of heat exchangers. I don't need big top speed and I recall really liking the corner to corner performance of my Nytro, so this might do the trick as a good 4-stroke option. Been in the sidelines for many years now as I've been leery with this cat DNA, but maybe now it may be good enough after 7 years in the making? I'm a big Doo fan as well, but that 900T just doesn't do it for me for throttle response and feedback so my 4-stroke option is very limited.
few pics

Dan

The new vipers are very similar to the 2019 cats. The Viper GT is comparable to the 2019 ZR 7000 limited which has the new controls, heated seat, qs3’s, led headlight, tunnel flares, new plastics etc. The standard 2020 viper you like if I’m not mistaken doesn’t have most of those options and is similar to the base line zr 7000. If you’re not a fan of the red GT, maybe look into a left over black/grey or black/purple/green 2019 ZR limited. I picked up a couple black/grey mid February for 10,500 and I’m very glad I did since Yamaha is a year behind on updates and I like the colors of the cats better. As long as you don’t mind the team clutches, they are basically the same thing. The only difference is the new arms and spindles on the 20’s and that still needs to be proven they work better than what they had.

View attachment 147471 View attachment 147472 View attachment 147477 View attachment 147478 View attachment 147471 View attachment 147472 View attachment 147472 Seen the 2020s at show yesterday. Checked out Viper as I'm interested in this sled. Do like the SE for colours, but gonna need a shock swap to suite my riding. The GT seems to be coloured more for the female crowd, but does have nice options for being an in season model. Really like the fact that the Viper is approx 50 lbs lighter in weight over the big brother turbo and will have no ice built up in tunnel with the absence of heat exchangers. I don't need big top speed and I recall really liking the corner to corner performance of my Nytro, so this might do the trick as a good 4-stroke option. Been in the sidelines for many years now as I've been leery with this cat DNA, but maybe now it may be good enough after 7 years in the making? I'm a big Doo fan as well, but that 900T just doesn't do it for me for throttle response and feedback so my 4-stroke option is very limited.
few pics

Dan

Nice pics!

I like the red Viper GT!

few pics

Dan

Ya I don't get why they didn't give any colour options. That red is brutal IMO. Corner to corner, the viper is a rocket. Tops out at about 92mph. The bottom is end is so fun.

The new vipers are very similar to the 2019 cats. The Viper GT is comparable to the 2019 ZR 7000 limited which has the new controls, heated seat, qs3’s, led headlight, tunnel flares, new plastics etc. The standard 2020 viper you like if I’m not mistaken doesn’t have most of those options and is similar to the base line zr 7000. If you’re not a fan of the red GT, maybe look into a left over black/grey or black/purple/green 2019 ZR limited. I picked up a couple black/grey mid February for 10,500 and I’m very glad I did since Yamaha is a year behind on updates and I like the colors of the cats better. As long as you don’t mind the team clutches, they are basically the same thing. The only difference is the new arms and spindles on the 20’s and that still needs to be proven they work better than what they had.

Do you 19’s have anything different on the airbox intake?

No nothing. Seriously looking at one right now. Way cheaper than GT.
63D6B230-DFD6-426C-B0F4-9DD481541D35.jpeg
D39CFC51-9734-409C-A960-853BB5719728.jpeg

few pics

Dan
What dash was on the Viper and Winder GT?

Really biggest thing stopping me from a new Viper or 7000 is the motor. Don’t trust that new motor even without a turbo. Wish Yamaha would say what they did to fix the rods if they even did anything. Maybe just buy the plastic and update mine.

I have a 2015 XTX which I was going to sell and get a 2020 viper but the prices seem bit out of line.

Last edited:
Really biggest thing stopping me from a new Viper or 7000 is the motor. Don’t trust that new motor even without a turbo. Wish Yamaha would say what they did to fix the rods if they even did anything. Maybe just buy the plastic and update mine.

New plastics are nice. WAY easier/faster to pull the side panels and hood! New handle bar controls are kinda nice too.

Sorry for the late response. Was out riding lol. As far as the airbox goes, nothing is any different from my 2019 cat to my 2014 viper. I took it completely down to clean out as it was full of oil because the dipstick markings on the newer oil reservoir are way too high and it will burp almost a quart of oil out of it if you go off those markings. i took the tank apart to see where the stick was in relation to the old sight glass on the 2014 vipers that I had before which never puked oil and it was near the very bottom of the stick. I set the oil level to the new marks i made and never saw a drop of oil again. So while i was in there i figured I would cross reference part numbers and they all lined up so the new gen 2 plastics that everyone keeps thinking there is some new type of ram air effect to put that out of their minds now. The 2020 viper will come with the same airbox as my 2019 ZR7000's unless they make a running change but from what Ive seen at the shows, its the same thing. Rumor also has it that the 2020 vipers will receive the same ecu update the 19 cats received this past year so I may already have the new updated ecu in mine as i was thinking of having it flashed to the new viper but it may not be necessary. I guess the viper is a year behind on all the updates but i like all the updates on mine so Ive been telling people that if they don't mind the sled saying Arctic Cat and the clutches being team clutches, then save several grand and get a leftover 19 cat. After I geared mine up to 21/41 and got rid of the primary clutch bind the team clutches seem to have when new, It went from running 80-83 mph bone stock to running 96 mph first pass in 35* temps on soft snow with a little slush spots along the way so it definitely has more in it. I was just happy to get the thing into the 90's as it struggled to do 80 out of the box with the stock gearing and clutching. I will now dial in the clutching next year and I bet this thing will do 98-100 consistently on a good hard pack which is all I wanted it to do. Sad part is my sidewinder with the same track and gearing never saw over 100 on the speedo and this thing went 96 so either I have a good one or the winder was a pooch.

Back