• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Let's talk studs

I run 192 1.63 lake racers and 260hp and the track spins a good amount still on ice! Trail conditions it seems good. I am bending them, about a dozeN bent over after 300 miles! A lot of those miles was buzzing around lakes.

I have a 137” track. Does anyone have a pattern for 144 in the middle with all double backers? I have heard of a few guys doing it but I can’t find a pattern for it and couldn’t find much in here about it.
I wanted to use all double backers to help prevent tear outs.
I guess I could go with another 48 studs and double backers. I’ve seen patterns for 192 in the middle with all doubles but that seems to be a lot of studs.

Just replaced my studs today. If they're done properly you won't have to worry about tare outs. I had a 4-2-4-2 double backer, with the two being single backers. I had SnowStuds WartHogs in there and there was 25 bent studs and 6 broken studs. Last run of the season was a run over a very exposed ridge that was unavoidable. I really wouldn't worry about the singles, but you could definitely do 4-2-4 all doubles.

I have a 137” track. Does anyone have a pattern for 144 in the middle with all double backers? I have heard of a few guys doing it but I can’t find a pattern for it and couldn’t find much in here about it.
I wanted to use all double backers to help prevent tear outs.
I guess I could go with another 48 studs and double backers. I’ve seen patterns for 192 in the middle with all doubles but that seems to be a lot of studs.

Throw in 192 with max19 tune and sennnd it!!!

Look up BITeharder carbide stud sharpener, sharpen up those worn dull studs, works unbelievable I sharpened my megabites and they are now pointy, watch their you tube video. It sharpens around the carbide insert.
Which sharpener do you use? The standard or professional?

On mine I used this pattern with woody gold diggers 1.45, tall nuts, and dual backers. This worked great on a 220hp, 248hp, and 270+hp sled. Not to mention a 180hp two stroke also. Still let's you kick it in the corners, but bites great on take off. My .02
I assume your sled is a 129?

I used the Woody's application guide and the minimum they recommend is 94 studs. They are Grand Master Studs with the larger square backing plate and tall nut.
https://www.woodystraction.com/prod...e_pa_stud-tip=60&attribute_pa_stud-ply=single

https://www.woodystraction.com/prod...ole=5-16&attribute_pa_plate-material=aluminum

Now I am a little concerned that I may have pullouts because due to being under studded. Anyone else running this setup? I don't care about being able to hookup for launching - just for safety. It can get a but icy here. I would go without studs if we could count on good snow.

What's everyone's opinion on studding the Ltx 137 with the 1.25 track ?
Which track is it? call Patrick from IGRIP'S ,i was skeptical at first but they sure work

Studs on the outside KILL handling of the sled period! to many studs slow you down on top speed rotating mass. Unless you are drag racing everyday 144 down the middle for stopping and ice roads will do the trick. Studs on snow covered trails don't do a dam thing anyway!
Wrong! you have to have studs on the outside of the track if your a trail rider, if your only riding lakes you could get away with the center only, good for straight line then let off too turn

Over the years you hear a lot of "talk" about "aggressive" riding,,, then you look at their track and you see all single backers,,, then you ask them how many studs do you rip out,,,, then they say oh i never rip out studs. Moral of the story, If youre not ripping out single studs, you arent as an aggressive rider as you think you are. If you are an aggressive trail rider and you stud the outside and get a ripout, your track is pretty much garbage. all it takes is 1 rock. and pray it doesnt take out your heat exchanger at the same time. studding the center if using singles, if you do get a ripout, you most likely can continue to use the track. Using all doubles definately reduces the risk of a ripout substantially.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 252
Over the years you hear a lot of "talk" about "aggressive" riding,,, then you look at their track and you see all single backers,,, then you ask them how many studs do you rip out,,,, then they say oh i never rip out studs. Moral of the story, If youre not ripping out single studs, you arent as an aggressive rider as you think you are. If you are an aggressive trail rider and you stud the outside and get a ripout, your track is pretty much garbage. all it takes is 1 rock. and pray it doesnt take out your heat exchanger at the same time. studding the center if using singles, if you do get a ripout, you most likely can continue to use the track. Using all doubles definately reduces the risk of a ripout substantially.
This is why i tried IGRIP'S and currently run 240 of them with a 1.5" track on the srx , the traction is amazing on the trails and can hold its own on the ice, after 1600 miles i changed 5 this year 3 that were missing the 3/16" carbide and 2 that were bent,all 240 weigh less than a pound,johnny skeptical is convinced.

Back