• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Limiter strap made of 10,000# polyester webbing vs stock?

jgustman

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'10 Nytro RTX
My original straps are showing wear at 4500 miles. Thinking of buying 2" wide polyester webbing and double it over since it's .080" thick instead of buying the stock straps. It has 10,000# breaking strength and should not stretch much if at all. Cost is $6.17 for 5 feet of it shipped vs. $44 shipped for stockers. Anyone have thoughts on this? My fear is that the bolts will not clamp the material hard enough and rip through the strap... :dunno: :dunno:

Thought about bigger bolt, don't need to be longer as the material is thinner than the stock strap. The problem is the bigger the bolt, the more material you are cutting through and weakening it...but more clamp force ability with a bigger bolt...The supplier says it should be fine to use as a limiter strap, just burn through it to make the holes vs. cutting it.

Where are you getting it from? Is this similar to the stuff used for hold down straps?

Mooseman said:
Where are you getting it from? Is this similar to the stuff used for hold down straps?

www.strapworks.com
Yes, it's similiar to hold down straps, but much tougher. It's under webbing and is made of polyester, which is the highest strength and cut resistance. Don't know whether to go with the 2" wide strap and fold it over or go with whatever the stock strap width is and use 2 or 3 layers? smaller than 2" strap is not 10,000# break strength but still very tough and they give the specs for break strength, but we probably don't need that much break strength anyway... Looks like a way better option than stock straps.

Break strength is different than shock strength. A steady even pull will take more force than a shock force. For $6 it is still well worth a try.

I have replaced mine with belting material and had excellent results. I bought the black belting from off of a combine that spreads the stuff coming out of the back.LOL Sorry not a farmer so I don't know what it is called. I could make 20 straps out of one piece and I think it cost $12.

I looked at that link. It looks like the material used in truck ratchet straps. Go buy a set of straps for $20 and cut off enough to make your limiters and still have a set of ratchet straps.LOL

Yes it's the same stuff as heavy duty truck straps rated at 10k. Looks like it has a workload limit of 3300 lbs. For 5 feet of it shipped to my door for 6 bucks it isn't worth buying a strap I've never needed or driving anywhere to get it. Seat belt is a good idea but not as quite as strong of webbing, and this comes in colors too :jump:

Went to Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight) and looked at tie downs. Highest I saw at 2" wide was 7000#. I can't believe that the stock straps even come close to that.

Whatever is used, the holes should be done using a hot nail through them to prevent fraying.

ranger1 said:
I would be concerned that it might start to fray from rubbing.

Yes, don't know till I try it, but the way the straps are located and protected on the bottom, they can't rub much if at all. They way our snow is here i will not even get to test them. :letsnow: I think i will make up a set to use when the stockers let go.

A concern might be that the webbing will hold water and freeze. If this were to happen, I suspect the strength would be compromised because the material will become brittle.

Soak a section in water and put it in the freezer next to your succotash for a day then see if you can crack it.

Back