• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Limiter strap/ torsion spring question

JustJoe

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Nytro FX
I took the rear spring/shock and strut off the rear of my 2008 nytro fx rtx and while removing the top strut mount I removed the rear limiter strap bolts and released the tension to not strain it. But now I can't reconnect the limiter strap because it is too short. I believe the torsion spring adjuster rotated allowing it to cause the skid to open up, making the strap short. How can I either A) compress the suspension/torsion arms OR B) do I need to detach the torsion arms from the skid and adjuster, attach limiter strap, and reset the torsion assembly?

Use Ratchet straps to pull it together.

From where to where? I have one in the front in similar places to the oem limiter strap, but where do I grab in the back? Sorry I'm not the most experienced

On my XTX I would raise the back end high enough so you can release the torsion springs from the holders It’ll make it much easier.

Can I release the torsion springs without pulling the idler/torsion bar mount?

On the XTX you don’t have to remove anything when releasing the torsion spring. Just flip the plastic holder that’s mounted to the bogey wheel, forward. This is on the front leg of the torsion spring. Then lift the front leg of the torsion spring up & over the bogey wheel.

Thanks Yam429!

Before I dive into that, can you take a look at this pic. To me, it looks like the adjuster in the upper right is "mis-clocked" meaning my torsion leg is pointing to 5 o'clock vs the typical 2/3 o'clock I see when looking at skid pics.

I'm thinking the fix is to release the torsion bars, collapse the skid, reattach the limiter strap, reload the torsion bars. Does that sound reasonable?
20240101_215526.jpg

Just released the torsion bars. Connected the limiter strap and resprung the bars. Not bad at all. Thanks for the advice!

Yep that’s what I would do.

Back