• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lite Question

outhuntin

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Polaris Ranger
Looking at buying a venture for ice fishing and cruising around home. It's a 2009 lite with 500 km. Do these models have the tunnel freezing issue or anything else that might be a known headache? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I don't see the tunnel icing as an issue, just something that needs to be addressed once in a while....usually after you're done riding...just takes a minute. If you look around this forum, you will find a wealth of info about the venture lite. Some folks had issues with slight difficulty with transitioning from fwd to reverse. Another issue was with the start relay freezing, but I believe your model year had already dealt with that. Anyways, welcome to this site..I think you'll find that we like to share info here in order to keep each other on the trails more and in the shop less. :sled1:

The update fuel pump relay was later than 2009. Easy to check. Look for a red relay. Replace it with the updated solid state red relay so that you won't get stranded on a really cold morning.

Tunnel icing is more a nuisance than a problem. Happens more when really cold. Check the ice boogers thread.

All years, both models (lites and mps) are the same in regards to tunnel icing and its resolution. I assume you've read up on the subject in the FAQs section. I agree about icing being more of a big deal in the cold, and as said before a nuisance, not a problem.

I believe there was a problem with the grounds on the 2009s, again simple and inexpensive to fix but a problem that could otherwise leave you stranded.

Welcome to the site, I've only been around for a year and it has been a huge confidence builder. There is no good time or place for these machines to act up and these guys and the vendors are a great resource for anyone who wants to keep up his own machine, both reliable and affordable.

Thanks for the info!

Last check. 2009 500km for $6000 cdn? What do you all think about that? Good price?

I'd say it's a good deal. I bought my 2007 in 2009 with 800km for $7200.

2009 should have been OK for ground issues. 2007 were had that issue for sure and had an update fix. Subsequent years were OK. If you become a VIP member, you can access all recalls and updates.

Are there that many that it would be feasible to get a vip membership? (Don't know the cost)

That also spurs the question, are the new venture lites much different that the '09's? Newbie here but it appears they discontinued the venture lite in 2014 according to yamaha website. Whats up with that?

Hi out hunting welcome to the site. I think the VL was discontinued as it was very simaluer to the MP no need for the two. The icing is a pain, but the ride and comfort along with the great fuel economy is worth dealing with the iceing issue but that said I also
Park my MP in a heated shop after a ride parked by a floor drain. The 09 is the same as the 14 I believe.

The VL was basically competing against the MP, which is a much better sled for just a little more money (like $500 IIRC). Check out the FAQ on the differences and you'll see why. The VL became a redundant model. At first, the MP wasn't available in the US. Canada had both. Europe, I believe, had only the MP. Once the MP became available in the US, they dropped the VL. Not sure what to make of Yamaha's marketing strategy but obviously, the MP won.

All else being equal, if you have a choice between a VL and MP, the better choice is an MP. But if you find a nice VL at a good price, it would make a good choice too.

All years are pretty much the same except for minor changes like colour and reflectors.

BTW, one major difference, the 16" wide track on the MP, I had to go to a 15" because the 16" is only available at Yamaha at $1000+. Found a nice new Crossover 1.5"x144x15. Way better track than the Ripsaw and haven't noticed much difference flotation wise.

I just gave the suggestion of becoming a VIP member so you could get access to the bulletins. In the top bar, if you click on the VIP link, it will take you to the page to purchase the membership. Cheapest is $15/year. Or you could try your luck with Google and finding them out there somewhere. I saved so much much money from the info here when I first joined, I became a lifetime member (and got some free stuff at the same time).

From cold start how long do you leave it warm up for before driving. Also I noticed you have to let it warm up for several minutes before the reverse kicks in. When engine is warm it kicks in fine (solid light) . When it's cold and I pushed the reverse button it would beep and continue up to flash but not "kick" into reverse. Just wondering what's the norm

While the red temp light is on, you should wait until it goes out before going. That's what the manual says. I wait a bit longer to be sure.

For the reverse, it has a harder time when it's running at the faster idle while warming up. It is better to wait until it's fully warmed up and idle goes down before going into reverse. It can go while on fast idle but usually requires the "lift the rear" trick.

5aa6f510b31b2dbc8a907e764f6f6051.jpg

First thing in the morning I don't pull out for several minutes after the red light has gone out. When I go sooner it surges and the trails out of here are tight. I always park so reverse will not be required right off the top.

Back