• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Location of bearing on jackshaft?

Turboflash

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 ZR9000 Ltd. 137 - PEFI Stage 4
Curious to hear from others as to exact location of ball bearing that is pressed on jackshaft. I have serviced a number of local TCats and replaced that bearing. In some, that bearing is against the shoulder, in others it is about .020-.030" away from shoulder. It's like it was pressed on to a certain length dimension from end of shaft.
At the of the day, they all are functional but I wonder what the design intent was?
What have some of you observed?

I've only seen them against the shoulder. Except for the one Winder I had here that we took the snapring off the shaft to get clutch alignment and it vibrated the bearing outward as he was still floating the secondary. I now no longer remove the snapring unless bolting the secondary down solid to the shaft and dont let it float after that happened.

I know the Cat doesn't run the snapring on the shaft, but in the housing, maybe its vibrating outward that much perhaps.

Only seen them against the should Winder and Cat

Not as observant as you, but I will say that I remember something a bit strange with how my bearing fit on that worn shaft during inspection of all with new bearing in hand and not in caliper! Of course shaft was worn pretty bad twice, but if I placed that bearing on the shaft and pushed in until it stopped, that portion of the shaft was tight on bearing. Pull it back just a bit and yeah you could see the loose fit. So I said to self, Caliper doesn’t allow bearing on shaft 100% of way! That’s was with .014” of wear on shaft!

Not as observant as you, but I will say that I remember something a bit strange with how my bearing fit on that worn shaft during inspection of all with new bearing in hand and not in caliper! Of course shaft was worn pretty bad twice, but if I placed that bearing on the shaft and pushed in until it stopped, that portion of the shaft was tight on bearing. Pull it back just a bit and yeah you could see the loose fit. So I said to self, Caliper doesn’t allow bearing on shaft 100% of way! That’s was with .014” of wear on shaft!
They are speaking of the jackshaft bearing(behind secondary clutch), not drive shaft..

They are speaking of the jackshaft bearing(behind secondary clutch), not drive
Yes I see that now that you mention it, oops my bad but thanks for bringing it to my attention and sorry if I caused the post to go sideways a bit! I haven’t had to touch my Jackshaft bearing as of yet, besides greasing it every other season.

Yes I see that now that you mention it, oops my bad but thanks for bringing it to my attention and sorry if I caused the post to go sideways a bit! I haven’t had to touch my Jackshaft bearing as of yet, besides greasing it every other season.
Hey no problem.. If you service the jackshaft bearing as you do it will last a long awhile.. Not hearing to many issues with this bearing.. Probably good to do it maybe around 10-15K preventive maintence replacement

Last edited:

Back