• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for a tip on filling chaincase oil

yamahahaapex

TY 4 Stroke Master
Adding Chain Case Fluid Tutorial(56K Warning) | TY4stroke: Snowmobile Forum | Yamaha - 4 Stroke

Looking for a tip on filling the chaincase oil on a sidewinder. I checked the sticky at the top of the forum and I see there is a writeup but the photos are gone which would help a lot. Plan of action is to loosen the chaincase cover slightly to let the oil seep out and tighten it back up. Upper gear was changed last spring by the dealer.

Any advice, tricks or photos would be much appreciated!

Dealer had it 500kms ago before the season started and the top gear was worn after 2000kms and the new top gear with a different design "lubrication holes" was put in its place. Didn't put many miles on there so its best to keep my fingers out of there till next season lol

That chaincase on these sleds is a haunted house in there.
Its worth taking a look, if not this year, certainly next.

Keep an eye out:
-for chain stretch, make sure there is lots of room left for the tensioner screw and it is not bottoming (due to chain stretch)
-check the tensioner wheel to make sure screw isnt backing out - have it tack welded if you can,
-reinforce the sight glass with high temp silcone,
- clean speedo magnets on shaft
-clean reverse sensor on the actuator - it will be full of metal
-doesnt hurt to wash out all the crap out of the case.
-sounds like the upper gear is done - i swop mine out every other year.
-clean all bolt holes on the cover with a tap, and wash out with brake clean.

I have started to take the gears and chain out and wash in gas. There is always lots of craps stuck to them.
Lots of fun
MS

Definitely take the chaincase cover off and remove all gears inspect and clean..
You have 500km on the new top gear and your last one was worn at 2000km.
Not sure about you but during a good sled season I can put 1500km in 1 trip...

If you do open case maybe look at the dmc heavy duty top gear bushing and swap it and be done with this common issue....IMO

That chaincase on these sleds is a haunted house in there.
Its worth taking a look, if not this year, certainly next.

Keep an eye out:
-for chain stretch, make sure there is lots of room left for the tensioner screw and it is not bottoming (due to chain stretch)
-check the tensioner wheel to make sure screw isnt backing out - have it tack welded if you can,
-reinforce the sight glass with high temp silcone,
- clean speedo magnets on shaft
-clean reverse sensor on the actuator - it will be full of metal
-doesnt hurt to wash out all the crap out of the case.
-sounds like the upper gear is done - i swop mine out every other year.
-clean all bolt holes on the cover with a tap, and wash out with brake clean.

I have started to take the gears and chain out and wash in gas. There is always lots of craps stuck to them.
Lots of fun
MS
20210316_110406.jpg

This is why I clean gears, chains, and case each time I open a chaincase

I agree. If your cracking that I’d look inside. I don’t think I’d ever crack that case and expect the gasket to not leak. I’d always replace the gasket.

The "Right Way" is NEVER the easy, shortest, or cheapest way to do something.

Now this might be the best sentence I have read on this site in a few weeks!
Yet, it's still the RIGHT way (and the ONLY way IMO!).

Gasket is optional. I never replaced mine on 17 Windèr. I had it completely off at least 6 times.

I didn’t replace mine either. Holding fine. I am definitely glad I hauled it all apart though. Got that reluctance to mess with it feeling out of the way. Also swapped out top gears for a 22. Old gear was fine, just wanted that 22 in there. Had the chance to adjust tension, and take care of tensioner screws while in there. And I’m not sure what I did right or maybe wrong. But my chain case shifts from forward to reverse and back now with hardly a sound. Whisper quiet I would say.

Back