• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for helmet recommendations.

I have only tried titan to about -24C, so far so good. Make sure your titan comes with updated goggle foam so it stays pliable in the cold, some early ones had problems. Also, if helmet doesn't fit you face you will have problems. Like the snowcross style helmets which goggle and helmet absolutely have to work together, Titan is more forgiving. Bv just has fit over your head.
Try a titan on and you will see there is no where for it to leak, lots of options out there now.

I have ridden with BVS2 since 2006. My helmet was stolen so i am looking also. I will try new styles & technologies. I do not use goggles on all day big trails. Just too much wind & i get a headache. I do not like RELYING on an electric visor. I wear a neck Hans device so i don't get bobble-head effect anyways.

Here is my 7 cents on BVS2

GOOD
1. Biggest field of view PERIOD! I measured over a dozen styles
2. Fog Free! The only non-electric helmet to back this up
3. Rear light so guys behind you can see you even in day with a lot of snow dust
4. Side flash light for night map reading or finding your willy when taking a pee
5. Sun visor works well & covers whole eye view
6. Comes with hard case & soft bag
7. Adjustable air flow pieces in mask

BAD
1. No vents. Cracking visor works, but some vents would be nice
2. Weighs same as older helmets, but may be heavy compared to new styles
3. You have to get used to mask, but once you do you'll swear by it
4. Electric visor is TERRIBLE for this model. $150 & i can't see through it
5. If you get it snug it can come on & off a little hard. I wear a lycra balaclava so it's not a problem for me
6. New shields are $100
7. Adjustable pieces for air flow can be a PITA when fingers are cold

SO SO's
1. I do not use the "maxi-pad" moisture thingy's. Every stop i flip mask down & drain moisture
2. It's hard to find your helmet at lunch since i would guess about 80% of the helmets are Black BVS2's
3. 3 different options for mask air flow. A solid rubber piece, a piece with holes in it & no piece at all. Good option, but not easy to change
4. It's made by DOO & those guys love to let you know it!

I decided to buy a Castle helmet from one of our sponsors Power Sports Gear. if i don't like it, i need a good backup for guests anyways. I still have my old BVS2 helmet to compare it to. I 'm going to weigh, measure & compare bask to back.

The Wife and I went BVS2 ten years ago and we love everything about them. After years of electric shields and poor vision we decided it was safer and more fun to be warm and able to see. I have zero interest in anything else at this time.

I too have ridden with the BVS2 for years and have no complaints. Yet I read all these helmet posts, I sometimes wonder why? I am going to stick to BVS2 only wish the E shield was a little Clearer. Not scratched just not as clear as I would expect or like.

I too have ridden with the BVS2 for years and have no complaints. Yet I read all these helmet posts, I sometimes wonder why? I am going to stick to BVS2 only wish the E shield was a little Clearer. Not scratched just not as clear as I would expect or like.

The electric shield on the BVS2 is the worst shield EVER! And $150!

Again, i swore by BVS2 for 11 years. I'm hoping this new helmet will breathe better & be lighter. If not, back to my original BVS2...

Again, i swore by BVS2 for 11 years. I'm hoping this new helmet will breathe better & be lighter. If not, back to my original BVS2...

Yep, and the electric shield for the Modular 2 I got a couple years was horrible. Scratched way way too easily. And was sort of cloudy too.

Trying one of the Castle 950's this season.

Sounds like you swore by and now at LOL

I have no problems breathing or with weight... may be because I am on the BIG side. But would love the vision to be clearer only issue for me.

If anyone has a NON ELECTRIC BV2S shield set aside when they got the Electric shield to sell -that has a CLEAR field of view- I will happily buy it from you. ( or clear Electric for that matter)

Yep, and the electric shield for the Modular 2 I got a couple years was horrible. Scratched way way too easily. And was sort of cloudy too.

Trying one of the Castle 950's this season.

The simple solution Todd and guys with the electric shield is to get rid of it. I had a bv2s with electric shield that started fogging on a ride. Couldn’t figure out why. Discovered fogging between the panes of plastic and was ruined. Replaced with a non electric shield and problem solved. Truth is if you have a good fit with your balaclava, an electric shield isn’t necessary.

My new Castle helmet has arrived so i decided to compare & contrast it to my old BVS2 & an older HJC. My report will be under "Castle X Helmets" in the GENERAL section.

with that price point it looks like its worth a try. if anyone has one please post your thoughts

might be worth it for the Bluetooth alone

not a bad looking helmet and good price, but at 8.2 pounds?

Back