• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

looking for the voices of experience on Sidewinders

poor farmer/logger

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 SR Viper XTX 2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX
Alright everyone I've come to that point in every snowmobilers life where they're ready for a change. I've been riding my 09 Nytro XTX now for 6 winters. It's treated me well and is still a good reliable sled. I'm just ready for something else now. I ride 70 percent off trail and 30 percent on trail. Mix of open fields and tighter ungroomed bush trails. Sometimes 2-3 feet of powder other times whooped out rough trails.

Test drove my first Sidewinder today. Only one dealer had left close to what I was looking for was a 17 BTX SE. Nice looking sled but I was a little let down when I got on it. I was really expecting more. First things I noticed were my knees kept hitting the dash panels. Once I got out into the open field and started moving around on some of the drifts I kept feeling like I was going to fall off the back of the seat. Seems like it drops off once you move back past a certain point. Biggest disappointment was the lack of being able to lift the front end like I can on my nytro. Going through some smaller hills where I actually fist drove the nytro and fell in love I didn't get the same feeling. The front end wasn't as easy to lift up coming over the hills.

Basically my questions are is the XTX better suited to what I'll be doing and is it possible to make the front end come up as easy as my Nytro XTX does. Can you shift the weight transfer on these sleds like the nytro?

Those are my first questions that came to mind anyways. As I think about it more I'm sure I'll come up with some more. Any and all advice is appreciated.

I have the same sled but a Cat version. It just was a poor setup. Mine will lift the skis at will and with a tune its insane.

I dont know how the winders are clutched but sounds like it needs some basic clutch work and the suspension set up for the off trail riding.

It really is a great sled........

Thanks for replying.

So is weight transfer basically controlled by shock set up? I know with the front you can set the limiter straps which these were all the way down. I'm not real excited about the fox shocks but I've never been on a sled long enough to develop a educated opinion about them. Seem like I'd sure miss the adjustability of the clicker shocks on my nytro. Admitably I don't adjust them much anymore now though.

On packed snow you could feel that it wanted to go but once you hit the powder or loose snow it just felt like a little kitty lol. It had the 1.75" track on it.

Salesmen didn't know a lot about the sled unfortunately so when I left I kind of had more questions then answers. Shelling out a lot of money for a new or even a good used sled so I'm just trying to get a informed educated opinion about them before I jump in.

Not coming on here knocking the sled just trying to get more educated about it. I read the owners manual last night too just to see what it was like under the hood. Sounds like maintenance should be easier then on my nytro.

My sled has Qs3 coil overs and I'm not certain what the winder has but if you adjust the shocks they will come around. On the off trail the stock skis on my cat sucked so I changed those and it kept the front from diving. I also have the 1.750 track and it seems to hook well but I did stud mine as with a tune it was worthless with no studs. In my opinion these turbo sleds dont really shine until you put a tune in them. Even a small 225hp tune will make you smile for miles. Let the big girl eat and have fun. I love my sled.......

your nytro has the pro action skid ...which makes transfer easy....to keep things on a level with what you are used to....I would look at the 141 skid (non coupled) and add some off trail skis ala slps or c&a's...and then Id believe you'd get more of the feel you are used to.

Thanks guys.

SJ it was some of your posts that helped me dial in my nytro suspension when I got it years ago.

I'm with SJ, I went with (2) 141 XTX's and never looked at anything else. You can get the front end up as high as you want or keep it flat with very little suspension settings.

I'm with SJ, I went with (2) 141 XTX's and never looked at anything else. You can get the front end up as high as you want or keep it flat with very little suspension settings.

Good to hear. One thought came to mind though do you bottom out pretty easy once you hit the rougher stuff set up like that?

Used to ride dirt bike and I tend to ride my nytro like one in some ways. I don't want to lose that fun factor when I upgrade. That's my biggest thing.

Good to hear. One thought came to mind though do you bottom out pretty easy once you hit the rougher stuff set up like that?

Used to ride dirt bike and I tend to ride my nytro like one in some ways. I don't want to lose that fun factor when I upgrade. That's my biggest thing.
I would wait another year in hopes Cat ditches this wide chassis and gets with program. Nytro and Phazer were first narrow body sleds and Polaris and doo followed. Cat is a little slow to catch on.

I shall add my 2 cents Poor Farmer.
I have the 137” LTX-LE. It is not a ski lifting sled like the Nytro’s are by any means.

I have tried to make it so by trying many settings and adjustments, but they rob the sled of it’s uncanny stay planted/ great handling characteristics. Instead of lifting skis over a hill, this sled with much more speed will only jump the entire sled over the bump. In air characteristics are the best I have ever experienced, it wants to stay flat and land soft.

When I talk lifting skis, this sled once the throttle is pinned does lift the skis enough to hamper cornering a bit, but not enough to actually see them come up. My limiters are on the second longest setting. Longest setting really hampered cornering and may have gave me an extra 1” or 2 ski lift.

It does come out of the hole really good though.

Shocks, ride, handling and power are so nice, and with my 5’ 10” 215 frame, I have no problem with my knees hitting!

So , does not sound like my model is for you!

My buddy and I swap sleds quite often, his is an Apex LTX. His lifts the skis much higher over high speed hills on the trails, mine is much smoother and much more race inspired with it’s planted/ stable feel.

The real big difference between the 2 is seating position. When you first get off a Winder and on an Apex you will see how the Apex wants to eject you on curves, whereas the winders seat position makes your inner thighs lock you in, much like riding a horse. Once on the Apex this becomes very apparent because I forget the need of locking in my feet when on the Apex until the first curve! Could be embarrassing for sure.
Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:
I came from an 09 Nitro XTX (7500 miles) to an 18 Winder LTX-LE(950 miles). My knees hit so I added 2" to the riser which helped a bunch. Put Curve skis on it with duallies right out of the crate but it still pushed with 192 studs. Pulled in the front limiter straps 1 hole which helped alot. Added mid sport windshield and Powermadd handgaurds. QS3s are way stiff. I run them on soft (#1) and the rear spring on softest setting. Brake sucks compared to Nitro. Too touchy and the throw is too long. It stretches hand. I hear there will be a better lever for next year. I have Split Rail skis on the Nitro. I like the tight cornering of the Nitro better but lifting the skis at 60 up to 90 on the Winder is big fun. The angled rails in the Nitro skid is a great idea and makes it turn better. You sit higher on the Winder. Not much weight transfer. 200 hp will always spin the track. The gauges have alot of useless info. unless you need to know intake air temperature. You would think they could have included a compass and thermometer. Don't ask about changing the chaincase oil. Stupid. I'm sure glad Yamaha tweaked the sled before they accepted it from A/C. Stupid. But why would Yamaha begin to listen to customers now.:o|

Reactions: JPS
I don't know how you guys can talk about the Nytro in the same sentence as the Sidewinder. I absolutely hated my 08 Nytro! That sled had no business ever being built. The Nytro is the reason Yamaha no longer builds there own chassis and that's a very good thing.

I don't know how you guys can talk about the Nytro in the same sentence as the Sidewinder. I absolutely hated my 08 Nytro! That sled had no business ever being built. The Nytro is the reason Yamaha no longer builds there own chassis and that's a very good thing.
You are EXACTLY right. We shouldn't be talking about a Nytro and Winder in same sentence because they are totally different sleds in almost every way. So someone who obviously likes his Nytro is supposed to like a Sidewinder? Think about it. I will be first to admit a Winder or anything else in a ProCross chassis is easy to go fast on and easy to ride many miles. Best front end and handling of any sled made for sure. But that does not necessarily make it FUN. The fact remains that even though a Procross chassis is lighter it just feels bigger. Kind of like a Apex. The sound and power of the Apex makes me smile but I quickly tire of it. I know its just perception but being able to hang right over the front a-arms pretty easily because of the narrow bodywork and feeling how narrow a Nytro,Phazer,Axis or Gen4 is just somehow brings a smile all the time especially when so much transfer is available in all those but the Doo. They made a mistake putting the 129" on there. Hoping Cat and Yamaha figure it out someday.

My Wife really liked the Nytro and said it was a lot of fun to ride. She hated my Apex and I hated her Nytro. However when she rode my Winder she thought it was fun to ride just like her Nytro . I think she drinks too much wine at times.

Back