• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looks like a new display/GPS in the works?

Is this new gauge the garmin tread GPS that is an accessory for our sleds from cat?
Here is the garmin tread link.
Yes but with the sled normal guage built in. Its very nice. You can use their Garmin maps or install a chip like VV mapping which is what I would do. Used my Garmin and VV this past weekend on UTV and even my wife agreed the GPS paid for itself once again especially with all the routes which are legal and designated with VV mapping. Vast majority of those routes were actually forest roads which I would not drive my truck down but were a blast on UTV. It also kept me off Snowmobile trails that were not legal and I was familiar with. From what I saw of the Tread Garmin maps they are based on the data from GIS and the Groomer trackers Data in WI and MI. So for Snowmobiles the Tread maps are very accurate. ATV and UTV less so. Knowing the legal routes is mandatory for them. Not so for Sleds since its almost all legal and way more alternate trails in winter.

Last edited:

This looks pretty sweet! Will be great to know if it has group ride tracking built in and if that works sled to sled or if it relies on the phone connection for internet.

Also wish they'd make it compatible with Procross, but it looks like it's likely to be only for Catalyst.

All of the group ride GPS displays require a cell phone and cell service coverage with the exception of the Garmin Tread which I believe uses GMRS to communicate position.

This looks pretty sweet! Will be great to know if it has group ride tracking built in and if that works sled to sled or if it relies on the phone connection for internet.

Also wish they'd make it compatible with Procross, but it looks like it's likely to be only for Catalyst.
I talked to the arctic cat rep at wide open wisconsin . He said they are going to come out with a procross kit for the new display. So im guessing we can throw it in our Vipers and Sidewinders.

I talked to the arctic cat rep at wide open wisconsin . He said they are going to come out with a procross kit for the new display. So im guessing we can throw it in our Vipers and Sidewinders.
I heard the same from the boys at Thunder Products at the Big East Powersports show. I sure hope it's true, and hope it will be available in blue screen colors ;)

Depending on price I’m holding out for this! I would guess right around that $1700 bucks is pretty close. The 8” tread is $1400 on its own which this is a version of.

I spent some time at the Toronto show talking to Garmin about this display (the cat guys knew very little). It is literally a Garmin Tread powersports model for which cat has written a 'gauges' app. In the US it comes with radio antenna, in Canada you have to buy a radio add-on kit if that matters to you. Apparently CAT is working directly with OFSC for map support in Ontario but... the garmin guy contradicted himself later in the discussion with regards to OFSC and Garmin. The Garming Tread Powersports is $1799.00 USD and IF this is the full tread (Garmin says it is) then this will be the best gauge on the market - bar none as Garmin has the best map management tools, most mature map displays, etc.. At the show the display was responsive enough although the resolution is 'just' acceptable which is typical of Garmin products. Imagine if you could take this display and put it on any machine with a few settings to customize gauges.. that would be awesome.

I see there is a cheaper Tread model. Basic model. I was debating on buying one for my sled. Garmin makes great stuff. Aviation products are fantastic.

Anyone with an update on this? I'm hopeful we can get a better display and interface retrofit soon.

I'm still hoping.

All of the group ride GPS displays require a cell phone and cell service coverage with the exception of the Garmin Tread which I believe uses GMRS to communicate position.
This is incorrect information. Maybe it is different on the sleds. But the latest SXS models from Polaris with Ride Command have a vehicle to vehicle antenna. It's an option on previous years, but standard on the most current model years.

This allows V2V text messaging and location sharing. I have it in my Polaris General. When connected to cell, it offers further functionality and performance, but will work without.

This is incorrect information. Maybe it is different on the sleds. But the latest SXS models from Polaris with Ride Command have a vehicle to vehicle antenna. It's an option on previous years, but standard on the most current model years.

This allows V2V text messaging and location sharing. I have it in my Polaris General. When connected to cell, it offers further functionality and performance, but will work without.

I didn't know that at the time and hopefully they add it to sleds but.. its bluetooth so effectively the same range as bluetooth communicators with the same issues. The tread is using MURS radio. I also like that they have now added this feature to the new zumo XT 2 line of GPS so there should be a GPS device at every price point that can use group ride and group radio. Now if we can just voice activated push to talk from cardo to work with the garmin tread we will have GPS nirvana.

Last edited:

Back