• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

low idle after overheat

glenngy

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
viper
Hi all have a 2017 sidewinder, overheat light came on and she started to bog, not sure why was really cold out but the last 3/4 mile home had low snow, scratchers wernt making contact so... i shut er down asap waited 15 min after putting snow under tunnel, fired up np, temp was down a bit light off, got only cpl hundred yards and light comes on so shut er down waited 20 and drove her home, today fire it up, idles at 1400 so took it into the field gave a squeeze, mint! let off throtle falls to 1400 and stumbles, I changed scratchers added water wetter heat was fine for the 45 mins i ran it, squeeze the gas runs smooth and fast (270hp hurricane) stop idle drops 1400-1450 and kinda stumbles or pops, any help would be great. no smell, no codes on dash. TIA

Did it throw any codes?

It may just be a coincidence that the low idle showed up after the overheat but things to check:
-anti freeze at a normal level?
-any anti freeze in oil? this usually shows up with decreasing antifreeze level and increasing oil quantity

Most common things to check:
-needs new plugs...change them
-plugged or dirty air filter
-vacuum line off
-boost tube split or leaking or clamp loose
-cracked or loose pipe from exhaust manifold to turbo

Did it throw any codes?

It may just be a coincidence that the low idle showed up after the overheat but things to check:
-anti freeze at a normal level?
-any anti freeze in oil? this usually shows up with decreasing antifreeze level and increasing oil quantity

Most common things to check:
-needs new plugs...change them
-plugged or dirty air filter
-vacuum line off
-boost tube split or leaking or clamp loose
-cracked or loose pipe from exhaust manifold to turbo
antifreeze level good, just going to change plugs now, no codes, Thnks 4 the feedback !

My heat exchangers iced up a couple seasons ago. Same thing, lite came on, etc. I honestly thought something bad happened. Ran funny, like yours. Checked compression, new plugs. The next time I went to ride it, it ran flawless.
Can't explain, other than, I know what you're going through.

My heat exchangers iced up a couple seasons ago. Same thing, lite came on, etc. I honestly thought something bad happened. Ran funny, like yours. Checked compression, new plugs. The next time I went to ride it, it ran flawless.
Can't explain, other than, I know what you're going through.
thnx 4 the feedback

So changed out coolant, swapped out plugs, washed air filter and reset ecu, running back to normal. Thanks for all the advice.
Great!
Just a word of caution if you have drained and filled coolant these sleds are very difficult to bleed the cooling system to ensure there is no air in the system. Use the search function to get info on effective techniques.

Great!
Just a word of caution if you have drained and filled coolant these sleds are very difficult to bleed the cooling system to ensure there is no air in the system. Use the search function to get info on effective techniques.
Short answer for "no need to bleed". Get something like this: It vacuums out the air and sucks new coolant into the system.
Screenshot_20240123-105138-211.png

Back