• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Maintenance 4k+ Miles

RxThunder

Expert
I have a 2003 Rx1 with 4450 miles on her, I do regualar maintenance on it before every winter. I am going to be putting the copper exhaust donuts on soon and doing my usual checks and maintenance. I am going to take the A arms of off the front of the sled and check bushings, I replaced the driveshaft bearing last year and re packed the jackshaft bearing. I am going to be checking over the entire skid, and flushing the coolant also. I noticed nylon looking washers on either side of the flyweights on the primary that are torn up and some even missing, I will be replacing them. What else should I be concerned with or be checking to keep this sled reliable? This is the most miles I have had on a sled and I just want to hear what others have done for maintenance. Since getting an Apex at the end of the season last year this sled will mostly sit, but will probably go on at least 2 or 3 weekend trips full of riding.

The old no action rear suspension had problems with the front w arm rusting and breaking the welds due to the weight of the sled. The bushings at all of the pivot points in the rear suspension are probably shot and check the rails for cracks. I had cracks in mine at 2000 miles I did not find that out till I bought a Bender mono shock conversion for it which uses the stock rails and had to replace them. I broke just about avery set I had on my 2- 03's and 3- 05's but I am pretty rough on things. The shocks probably in the rear skid are getting close to giving up the ghost - again depending on your riding style. If the sled spent a lot of time in the air most of this stuff will have issues.

I also had a lot of coolant leaks where the metal lines went into the motor. Just beads of antifreeze but never wanted to risk a full blowout on a long ride. Had to change out the O rings. That almost requires a full motor pull (not easy)

I ride hard, but it doesn't spend much time in the air, I know she's heavy and not built for jumping and combine it with my 200+lbs I know I'd be breaking stuff all the time, so I try to limit the air time. The shocks I'm sure are getting close to giving in, I have replaced some bushings in the rear suspension that were worn out, I will have to check the others again this year. I haven't seen any cracks in the rails (knock on wood) I also know the rings aren't the best in the 03's, she does use some oil, about a half a quart in 1,000 miles. I run ring free in every tank and from what I have read most people say it's not worth doing the rings if the oil consumption is minor, so I am just running it in hopes that it doesn't get worse. My main goal for this sled as of now is to keep it in good shape and reliable, now that I picked up an Apex this sled will see a lot less trail time.

The front end bushings in my sled were shot after 3000 miles, and the buttons in the secondary were almost wore out. And this was with VERY easy riding by the previous owner.

Yeah, the oil consumption doesn't worry me too much. The skid I keep in good shape other then probably runing these shocks too long. I'm just trying to think of things under the hood I should be looking for and doing maintenance on other than driveshaft and jackshaft bearing. I have no intentions of ever selling this sled so I want her to last.

Back