• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Massive Oil Leak!

FrozenTows4

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 XF7000 Sold
2017 ZR6000RS
2018 ZR6000 El Tigre
YOUTUBE
FrozenTows1
First real ride, of the year, almost.

Less than 8 miles out, sled goes into limp mode, stops, and smoke billows from under the hood.
Pre ride check involve setting float pressure, with a floor jack, with a wood block spanning the oil filter access panel. Engine oil was about 3/4 up site glass cold. Started engine, oil is drawn down a little, then goes to just above site glass. Figured should be OK. All other systems perfect. But obviously not.

Oil was changed at end of last season. 454 miles.

Added 2 qts before loading onto trailer. About 1/4 way up site glass. Something is leaking pretty fast.

001%20Tony%20Down_zpskjaosibu.jpg

Trailer is a total mess.

002%20Trailer%20Oil_zpstlbc6kjm.jpg

Wait for the garage to warm up.

003%20Oil%20Under%20Sled_zpsbygeqde4.jpg

She's pumping out oil pretty quick. Having dinner and then see whats up.

Any clues, on what to check, would be greatly appreciated.

That would be first thing I would check. And the amount of oil I am seeing in your pictures is nowhere near 2 qts. Make sure you dont end up overfilling.

Check lower oil line hose clamp the one with the big aluminum sleeve over it.
Also check to make sure no ice or moisture in oil separator sounds like it might be clogged with ice ?
Check air box it will oil saturated also. Make sure not to over fill oil tank also or it will puke it out also. Bruce

When is there going to be recall on oil separator

Did you change your oil filter when you changed your oil? Seems to me that you have 2 gaskets in your oil filter.
You nailed it! You know, I've been changing oil for over 40 years. I Know to double check for a stuck o-ring. No clue how this one got missed.

See the bulging o-ring?

004%20Bulging%20Gasket_zpszxzbgxpr.jpg

Here it is.

005%20Double%20Gasket_zpsvy0bljzb.jpg

Unbelievable! In God we trust, all others we check, including myself!

I'll definitely double check the hoses. The oil separater should be fine. It's been in the garage the whole time. First attempted ride, this season, was today. But, In God we trust, all others we check, including myself. So, I will check.

I'm going back out to clean up the mess as much as possible. Haven't decided if I'm reusing this filter, or picking up a new one tomorrow.

...he usually knows his stuff.
That's the problem. When we Think we know, what we're doing, then it's time to regroup and double check. Lesson learned. I Did limp it, about 1/2 dozen times, to get closer to the landing. In this case, I Really Like the oil cut off feature. Oil light off, blink, blink, solid, shut down.

Counting the oil needed to load on the trailer, and re-fill, I used 4 1/2 quarts of YamaLube. Would have been only 4 1/4 but I over filled. Had to draw some back out. Ran for a couple minutes at 195 fan on. Seemed like it wouldn't cool any further. But the garage was already up to 50 degrees, so I guess that makes sense. Site glass is dead on at 1/2. I did re-use my new/used oil filter. But only one o-ring this time! LOL!

006%20Fixed_zpsx33vimax.jpg

We'll try again tomorrow. This is why we do shake down cruises. Next weekend heading for better snow. Much appreciated everyone's support. Even though I'm a Viper in Cat's cloths.

It seems the OE's never follow directions and put these filters on dry. Easy for a gasket to get stuck like this. First oil change is always a major pain.

I bet you'll never even have to look for a stuck gasket again so long as you are doing your own service work.

Why did you buy the Arctic Cat and not the Yamaha??...and yes I know they are almost identical.

Why did you buy the Arctic Cat and not the Yamaha??...and yes I know they are almost identical.
Good question. From what I can tell ,aside from clutching and plastics, they're the same machine. At the time, this one was over $3000 less than a comparable Yamaha. The regional Yamaha rep goes to our church. Even he approved. So here I am, with a 2014 XF7000 carry over, with just under 500 miles. Love it so far, but we're still getting acquainted.;)

glad to hear it was a simple fix/mistake!!! I don't think I even thought of looking to make sure the oil seal was removed when I changed the oil on our sleds! But this one is going to stick in my head now:)

Sharp looking sled btw my wife was on the fence on one like yours and the orange one when buying!:bling

Back