• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Max16 SM tune

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
So, I've had my winder for awhile. And enjoyed it very much as a stocker.
Was hoping to hear updates from riders perspective on the max 16 SM tune.
My initial thoughts are that it would require an octane booster over the 91 available at the pump.
I feel like I don't want to dig in much further to keep it running like a stocker, maintenance wise. Chasing boost leaks, etc.
Would this tune be over my head?
So really, what am I getting into?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220111-120643_copy_327x489.png
    Screenshot_20220111-120643_copy_327x489.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 40

They have two versions of this tune.

One for the stock map sensor, and one for a 3 bar map sensor.

I went with the stock map sensor version. I believe it has a bit less power than the 3 bar version. At the time, there were issues popping up with the gap 3 bar sensors. I didn't want to take the risk. I believe they are corrected now.

I run the stock intake, TS BOV, washer removed behind the secondary, stock weights, stock secondary setup, a Yamaha Blu/brn/Blu primary spring, and an XS825 belt. My sled runs 9,000-9,100 at WFO.

Fuel economy is about 1/2 a MPG less than a stocker.

I have 1,700 miles on this setup. Same belt. It has been flawless. It can be ridden easily, or when you want to go 125 on the speedo, you can do it in a hurry. Mine consistently pulls 16.5-16.8lbs of boost.

I'm sure I could get more out of it with heavier weights. It would probably get better MPG too.

Good info, Ty. I wonder how you were able to use stock weights?
I'm thinking the belt dragged you down a few hundred RPM & the tune picked it back up?!?!

Good info, Ty. I wonder how you were able to use stock weights?
I'm thinking the belt dragged you down a few hundred RPM & the tune picked it back up?!?!
Yes. The 825 always drags RPMs down 3-400.

My Sidewinder always RPMed a bit low stock. 8,600-8,700. Perhaps my setup wouldn't work for others.

Yes. The 825 always drags RPMs down 3-400.

My Sidewinder always RPMed a bit low stock. 8,600-8,700. Perhaps my setup wouldn't work for others.
Understood....but definitely worth the try.
Basically, you get the tune, XS825, and play it by ear....so to speak.
No octane booster?!?!

270hp is a good tune. I run 240-270-300SS hurricane tune. I mostly run 270SS or 240. I tried 300 once, but you need to have good fuel and run 93. Hard to find that. You might want to look at M17

270hp is a good tune. I run 240-270-300SS hurricane tune. I mostly run 270SS or 240. I tried 300 once, but you need to have good fuel and run 93. Hard to find that. You might want to look at M17
Yeah, sometimes you have to settle. Lol
The Max16 can be ran with stock intake & muffler.
So, from Max16 to Max17 the trade off is an additional $1000+/- for intake, exhaust (louder & DNR confrontation), bov, etc.
Probably not worth it to me.

Your good with 91 octane. No octane boost necessary.
I don't mind squirting a little boostane in with each tankful. Just for the insurance of it all. Bad gas, etc.
I'd probably run an 87 octane tune but do not like any ethanol in my fuel.
The state of Wisconsin & most of the UP only sell premium 91 (no Ethanol)

MS 16 is a great tune. The difference between stock and this tune is very very noticeable!
I had the EcoTrail tune at first but did not feel a power difference from stock, but did like the fact that that tune allowed 87 octane. Again, you will feel a big difference in power with the (91 Octane)MS16 tune. I did take the foam insulation out from under the muffler, and added 2 layers of stick on metal heat tape. I do that every year after my oil change because some have reported lots of heat from the muffler, and oil from an oil change lingers in that foam!
One needs to realize how hot these little turbo exhausts get on these when running at even high speeds, even in stock form!

I also ran stock weights and both stock springs with secondary pocket machine to reduce coil bind. Added an 35/39 and adjusted weights to my liking. 8950-9050 is where I liked it. I also prefer a low engagement for smoothness, 2650-2800. To each their own!

MS 16 is a great tune. The difference between stock and this tune is very very noticeable!
I had the EcoTrail tune at first but did not feel a power difference from stock, but did like the fact that that tune allowed 87 octane. Again, you will feel a big difference in power with the (91 Octane)MS16 tune. I did take the foam insulation out from under the muffler, and added 2 layers of stick on metal heat tape. I do that every year after my oil change because some have reported lots of heat from the muffler, and oil from an oil change lingers in that foam!
One needs to realize how hot these little turbo exhausts get on these when running at even high speeds, even in stock form!

I also ran stock weights and both stock springs with secondary pocket machine to reduce coil bind. Added an 35/39 and adjusted weights to my liking. 8950-9050 is where I liked it. I also prefer a low engagement for smoothness, 2650-2800. To each their own!

Ty for the supportive feedback.

Back