• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

May want to check change driveshaft bearing

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
Found this on my brake caliper bearing. Rust at the 7 o'clock position. Roughly 6k on the clock and a 2019.

The bearing looks dry because I blasted out all the grease looking for other rust spots.
PXL_20230518_004229079_copy_1536x2040.jpg

Yup, time to change that one. Good catch. If (when) one of the 4 bearings that support either jackshaft or drive shaft fail completely while riding, it's a major PIA to get it back to trailer so paying close attention to them during maintenance cycles always pays off IMO.

Some of the plating was coming off the outside race. And with that rust location where the seal was likely the same spot it was. The balls around the rust location APPEARED ok but I haven't split the ring yet.

Attachments

• PXL_20230519_225932897_copy_1536x2040.jpg
    PXL_20230519_225932897_copy_1536x2040.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 65
For the cost of these bearings, IMO it's not worth taking the chance on any of those 4 bearings for the jackshaft or driveshaft. They are so important and critical that I just replace them with top quality bearings about every 2 seasons or so. I realize I've taken out "good" bearings but I like the peace of mind. Personally, I use SKF EMQ (electric motor quality). EMQ bearings have better finished raceways (more highly polished to reduce noise) than standard bearings. I notice that Cat calls out C3 fit bearings for the PTO side secondary clutch and caliper, and on the chain case side they call out standard fit. Maybe because both the chain case side bearings run in oil so they theoretically run cooler, and on the PTO side, the jackshaft bearing gets very hot courtesy of the exhaust manifold being very close by, and the brake disc heat being close to the caliper bearing.

This is the one I chose
BOP offers a FAG replacement bearing (just bearing ,not including the collar) for those choosing to change out there new concept (sleeve)repair.Listed on there website

Back