• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wave Rotor

sideshowBob

Lifetime Member
Long winded question here:)

I am experiencing a pulse in my brake lever since installing a light weight brake rotor.

Info:
During my last spring post season preventative maintenance on my 2019 X-TX LE some of the drive shaft related things I replaced :
-new updated driveshaft
-new drivers
-BOP updated drive shaft bearing with set screws
-BOP shaft saver
-new OEM brake pads
-new aftermarket Lite Weight Wave brake rotor[it had the OEM drilled lite weight rotor on it]
Pretty well everything was in great shape but I had it apart so I replaced them.

Now the issue I have is a slight pulse in the brake lever that did now exist with the OEM lite weight brake rotor. The sled only has @ 500 miles on it this season and the brake has hardly been used since installed and definitely never been overheated.
Today I checked the driveshaft, bearing, rotor and caliper and everything looks perfect.
There is no wobble detectable in the caliper mounting surface on the tunnel and I checked the runout of the driveshaft and the the hub of the rotor with a dial indicator and everything looks good. When running the sled on a stand there is no sign of movement with any of the components with the brake applied or not.

Finally here's my question:
Has anyone experienced a similar brake lever pulse on a wave rotor? It is very slight and I suspect it will disappear as rotor surface wears in.

Rotor.jpg

Less surface for pads to grab and it takes longer to make friction required for brakes to work … Yes its kind of a trade off and its a slight delay…This was on a very lightweight drag sled and it worked very well and really non issue….

I'm running same rotor on both my Sidewinders and no pulsing at all.

I took the sled for a ride today and rode the brake intentionally until I could smell it which I would normally never do. After a few cycles of abuse the lever pulse is now gone so maybe it was the brake pads?? I will have to see if it recurs.

I took the sled for a ride today and rode the brake intentionally until I could smell it which I would normally never do. After a few cycles of abuse the lever pulse is now gone so maybe it was the brake pads?? I will have to see if it recurs.
I'm happy you could even go for a ride!! Looking at brown fields and ground here in southern MN. :mad:

Back