• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MCX mechanical or an electrical oil scavenge pump?

mbarryracing

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Attak Turbo
2015 SR Viper RTX-DX
1996 Vmax 600XT
So what are the thoughts on the pros or cons to these two types of oil return / scavenge pumps? The electric pumps are tried and true, but when they stop working without warning... puked center seal time.
I am curious how the MCX mechanical pump performs, could save the amp capacity on my sled for other electrical goodies (like water meth injection).
Does the MCX pump need to be vented? I know they used a collection tank under the turbo to draw from.

However they are a little pricey for just an experiment... Anyone have a used MCX crank driven pump they want to sell?

Thanks guys

Ive heard from the local yamaha dealer that at some rpms it doesn't suck enough and a little bit of oil goes out the exhaust. But only what I was told no personal experience.

No it does not need to be vented, but it will need a catch can underneat the turbo to drain oil from and the catch can needs to be vented.

The MCX oil return pump are driven by cranckshat by a special magneto bolt, the bolt have a cross groove in it where a cross pin on the pump shaft goes into. When installing you have to take great care ensuring that the crosspin sits into the groove on the bolt or else the crosspin will fail on install leaving the pump useless. If your MCX pump fails you will only know by the blue smoke out the exhaust. When I removed the MCX turbo kit from my sled the cross pin was somewhat worn, it may had a lot of life left but they will fail eventually.

This cross pin part should get some attention once every other season at least.

rxrider,
I guess if it needs to draw from a vented catch tank, that is the same "venting" requirement I was alluding to. I wonder what the reason is for that? Does it have to do with eliminating vaccum? I don't have a catch box under my turbo, sounds like I'm father ahead by staying with the electric scavenge pump...

The vent line goes from the catch tank forward and T's into the small vent line on top of the oil tank. It may have to do with removing pressure from the catch tank...I really don't know...

I have a 2010 nytro with the 180 mcx kit. It has 2700 Kms and the oil pump came out of the cover. The treads don't appear to be damaged but it will not screw in tight. There's no sign of the pin. It's obvious the cover and/or pump will need to be replaced. Anyone ever seen anything like this before any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes I have seen pumps come loose.
But none of them damaged anything, didn't even loose the pin.

It's been loose for too long, threads have been damaged. Have you tried adding loctite on the threads.

Please add Your location to Your user profile, site requirement.

rxrider
TY management team

I added a tie wrap around the pump inlet line and back to the frame pulling the pump clockwise to keep it from loosening. Similar to tie wiring a bolt but didn't want to use metal cause eventually it would wear into the pump.

I don't think loctite would be an option as it just keeps turning and will not tighten at all. I've been in touch with the dealer in Alberta where I purchased the snowmobile with the turbo installed. They say they have never seen it before and even when I asked said it shouldn't be nessessary to tighten the pump. As usual I learn the expensive way. I'm ordering a pump, housing, gasket and pin and hopefully ride on!

2010 nytro 180 mxc - ooops the threads on the cover and pump are completely shot.
I have never seen it happen either.
Hope you have the parts in soon to get it fixed.

Back