• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mike Knapps Vmax 4. !! IT'S ALIVE !! Relic Racing videos from Freemont Grass Drags,

BETHEVIPER

Lifetime Member
Had the pleasure of accompanying the Canadian team, Relic Racing to Freemont Grass drags this last week. Great fun. Been almost 20 years since I have raced or even been. They purchased Mike Knapps ice/asphalt sled a couple years ago and have been rebuilding it back to it's glory as a Grass sled. Finally overcoming electrical demons, It sure did show them what old iron could do. Best time, 4.558

Thats fun to see, but I never figured that machine would ever hit the dirt. YIKES!
I've been PMing the guys about the miss fires and electrical gremlins they were having. I hope they got the new pickups and crank triggers installed. All those MSD components are from the Pro-Stock bike world.

That is the most bad #*$&@ 800 ever. It makes 1000 class HP and will run with the 1000's still when its on point. I should have hung onto it....

Thats fun to see, but I never figured that machine would ever hit the dirt. YIKES!
I've been PMing the guys about the miss fires and electrical gremlins they were having. I hope they got the new pickups and crank triggers installed. All those MSD components are from the Pro-Stock bike world.

That is the most bad #*$&@ 800 ever. It makes 1000 class HP and will run with the 1000's still when its on point. I should have hung onto it....
We did a quick change here in the states while picking me up. Only took a few hours. They borrowed one from someone, spend a hundred buck to overnight it to me. Sled ran great for setting it up without a timer. There is alot more in it. Didn't even have a working replay tach to see what the clutching was doing. Next year they will have all the bugs worked out and maybe a notebook of testing notes to go to as the track changes.

you built one hell of a motor.

We did a quick change here in the states while picking me up. Only took a few hours. They borrowed one from someone, spend a hundred buck to overnight it to me. Sled ran great for setting it up without a timer. There is alot more in it. Didn't even have a working replay tach to see what the clutching was doing. Next year they will have all the bugs worked out and maybe a notebook of testing notes to go to as the track changes.

you built one hell of a motor.

Thanks, and I agree. Once they get it sorted for grass, it will be passing 98-99% of the best 1000's out there even if they get out ahead it will reel them in and pass them. That sled is the best pro-stock package to ever go down a racetrack. I'd sure like to have all the new latest tracks and trick chassis parts to put into it. Back in the day I only ran the wide 15"x121" tracks in it. They now have longer and narrower tracks to throw in them.

Does it not have the racepak computer on it anymore?

You should have seen the 1000 engine I built for it. Now that thing was a monster and had 50-60 more HP than the 800! It really upset that short track 121" chassis something fierce!

Thanks, and I agree. Once they get it sorted for grass, it will be passing 98-99% of the best 1000's out there even if they get out ahead it will reel them in and pass them. That sled is the best pro-stock package to ever go down a racetrack. I'd sure like to have all the new latest tracks and trick chassis parts to put into it. Back in the day I only ran the wide 15"x121" tracks in it. They now have longer and narrower tracks to throw in them.

You should have seen the 1000 engine I built for it. Now that thing was a monster and had 50-60 more HP than the 800! It really upset that short track 121" chassis something fierce!

Hey Mike. We are very happy with sled. Certainly had our share of issues to sort out but I Think we have it in the right area now. Thanks for the assistance with the electrical issues. Lots of people happy to see it laydown. And lots that wish it was collecting dust somewhere. Oh… and lots of guys fishing for info. :) lol

I heard one of the owners say it runs 10,000rpm and has psi lake blasters on it. Somewhere between 2 and 300hp. Also has Ghost porting from the old Naked Porting bench back at the beginning of TY. Also runs on pump gas

Mike, when did you run this sled & roughly what kind of HP we talking?

I built in 1997 and ran it from 1998-2003 Steve, and it has enough power to make the 1000 guys cry big crocodile tears!

I won the 800 Pro-Stock class handily every season at the ISR World Series and the 1000 Pro-Stock class every year at the Series too except the last year I ran it, when I took second. I had to weigh 25 lbs more than the 1000's that year, because I still had the cleated track in it, I had also spun on that run in the final but still ended up taking second! The 1000's were and still are claiming big power, but this is the little 800 that can run with them run after run, even giving up 200cc's to them, thats absolutely unheard of.

Well likely you can clarify this Mike but back in the day I heard you dyno’d yours with Dynotech out east and it made significantly more HP than Bender’s race sled. If so do you remember the HP numbers between his and yours?

Back