• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Milky oil fixing

krysFly

Pro
I have had issues last winter with the engine oil contamination. Its time to take the sled apart and look for loose "stuff" and possible air and/or coolant leaks.
Did anyone have this issue, and if so, which would be the spots to start looking at?

Quite possible a head gasket leak, engine internal, it won't be visible from the outside of the motor or in around the engine compartment, not a leak for say.

Is your coolant level going down? do you often start the sled for just a minute or less and not let it get up to temp?

Is your coolant level going down? do you often start the sled for just a minute or less and not let it get up to temp?
ITs a really weird issue. Coolant level not moving, I always warm it up before going (until the red light goes off)

Similar to Tnc's question. Do you start it often throughout the off season?
If yes - could be internal condensation that never gets a chance to burn off/evaporate.
MS

Similar to Tnc's question. Do you start it often throughout the off season?
If yes - could be internal condensation that never gets a chance to burn

Once it's stored, I never start it.
Beginning of season I change oil and filter and this milky oil issue shows up after a month or so. I just drain oil and add new.
I have been doing it for the last few years but I want to fix this issue for once.

Not sure what is better but I prefer to change the oil at the end of the season to drain all the crap out of there so it isnt sitting in there all summer. Do you drain the oil while the engine is hot? Maybe this would help. Do you also drain the oil from the engine, besides the oil tank? If there is a significant amount of water in your oil it should seperate after time and the water will drain first before the oil. If you do not see this maybe there is no need to worry about it.

Moisture in the oil.
I've always left it in and changed out the oil @ the beginning of a season, drain it hot & thinner.

My bike has a lexan window pulsar cover on the motor case and you can actually see the moisture build up in there on it after sitting in a 50* cellar all Winter.
Like the sleds, once I put them away seasonally they don't get started- no need to put that crap back up in the motor just to run it & have it sit again.
Engines like fresh oil :)

Based on what you have indicated here with your routine, it sounds like there is something else in the oil - like coolant.

Once the oil has been drained and is in a pan, I gather it has milky lines through it? I don't think moisture will do that, unless there is a ton of it in the oil. It wouldn't take much coolant to be noticeable. A small head gasket leak as mentioned earlier is a possible culprit.

MS

Check the oil pan bolts under the engine. I could be mistaken, but I believe someone else had this problem. Those bolts loosen up on some sleds, and could be getting a little water in through there. Its a long shot, but you never know. With the head gasket leak, the oil pressure is higher than water pressure, so generally you would get oil in the coolant, and your sled would push coolant out of the overflow. Not sure how coolant would get into the oil, but I guess its possible somehow.

Has the sled ever been overheated badly? That's pretty much the only way you would lose a head gasket.

To help determine if it is coolant or condensation that is in the oil, I would suggest draining the oil in to a clean container and let the water/coolant settle to a corner in the bottom (water is heavier than oil).
Once the separation is complete, use an old turkey baster to suck up some of the liquid at the bottom and put it into a container and then into the freezer. If it freezes, it is condensate. If it does not freeze, it's antifreeze.

:) don't add too much water to your dad's booze

Back