• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Milwaukee snowmobile show???

APEX 06 said:
Its ok but not what it was 5 years ago.

You could have taking a walk around the show with a video camera 5 years ago and then this one and I beat It would look the same, almost identical to the point that you could not tell the difference!!!!!

We did go to the show and it wasn't too bad. It was nice to be inside and be able to talk to some of the vendors for questions etc. There was a lot of people there Saturday.

We looked close at the trailers that were there including the Caravan ones with the galvenized frame. An R & D guy talked to us and explained it was built for the Canadian folks that use them a lot and the all aluminum ones just stand up. Caravan also offers a complete UHMW bed cover that takes the place of track mats and ski guides. If I was in the market for a side by side trailer I would have bought one but, we want an enclosed inline trailer.

We spent some time at the Ski-Doo area and sat on several of the sleds. We both had the same thought...everything on them looks cheap made like I would be afraid of breaking something. The R-motion skid feels stiff just sitting there. I would like to ride one just to see what it is like. I know from experience when people claim something is significantly better, it usually is not nearly as good as claimed.
My son made a good point on the way home: His 2009 Nytro XTX has 6,000 miles on it, it's ready to go many more miles and the only trouble he has had is one blown belt. So, why would you want to switch to a different brand?

We also spent time in the Yamaha area. I was disappointed in the Yamaha people as they acted like it was a bother to talk about anything and spent a lot of time texting, hanging with each other, etc. I asked one of the guys about future hardware that I heard 5 new sleds over the next 5 years. He corrected me saying 5 new engine and wouldn't say anything about chassis. I asked about any new skid suspensions and all he would say is "I would think so" or something like that. I pressed him about comparing Ski-Doo's R-motion and he said the mono shock II is the most plush trail skid there is.
Guess we will see what comes from Yamaha.

We also went into the swap area and it was bigger than I thought it would be. I started looking for Blu2U2 but it started raining and sleeting. Would have liked to had more time to look around the swap but, with the weather we opted to head home.

If it were closer I would go again. 375 miles is a little too far to drive for it though.

Not to change the subject but, is all the racing done for the seasn in Boone? Never been there, but want to get to the nationals sometime. My good friend is a Mod owner/driver her in Oshkosh help him out alot in the summer.

I thought the show was exactly the same as last year as well except they hid the bar and i was half way thru before i got a bloody mary i could have just about shot someone when i found the roasted nuts where the bar was supose to be. still had a good time but yeas the yamaha area was prety lame you would think they would have been excited about the new line up also thought id see Mr Sled there. best part of the Yamaha booth was the girl handing out posters.

Super nationals

yamahinn03,

Super nationals is the last race of the year at Boone. If your crew like racing, there is nothing else like it for an entire week.

About the races:
It is always the week after Labor day starting Tuesday ending with the championship races Saturday night....same days as Haydays.
There is roughly 750 race cars for all the classes with about 350 or so modifieds.
They will start racing mid-afternoon each day and run until early hours of the next morning. Usually 35 to 40 heat races just for modifieds.
It is difficult to qualify for the main race and takes a lot of luck. The last year we raced modified we had won 10 features and were track champion at Boone. This meant there was a bulls-eye on our car to keep us out of the race. In one of the qualifying races, a guy wipped the left front tire off the car in turn 4 before the race even started. Number 85, a guy called fluffy. He races outlaw late models now. I think the best we did was 8th in the modified but we did win the stock car class one year.

We used to race stock cars and modifieds, traveled around Iowa, Nebraska and to Chilton, WI one time for the Red Devil race. The Boone track is by far the best place to watch races. They run a fast show and don't mess around to much. When one race is done, the cars exit the end of turn one at the same time the next race enters the track on turn 3. One lap and green flag. Stop on the track and you go to the pits. There are cat walks most of the way around the track and they don't park anything in the infield. Is great to watch. Pull it up on google earth and you will see. It is right on highway 30 on south side of town.
The guy that runs the track is an azz, surprised someone hasn't killed him yet.

There are several teams from WI every year and the "Wisconsin tent" in the pits after the races is a notorious for drinking. They have a good time.

The track is a high bank 3/8 mile and black dirt. Every tenth race, they till it up, water and re-pack it to try to keep it tacky for races. Same for the features. It will end up being dry slick by the end of the races. If I remember right, I think we used to run 567 and 543 final gears and had the best luck with a 383 engine.

Anyway, there is a lot of racing that happens. By Saturday night, you want want to watch anymore races.

Back