• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Modified Rx1 Airbox With Pictures

Try the 165 with this mod and go for 10 minute run and stop and check your plugs. Your elevation is 544m and mine is 526m so they may work. I ordered mine from royaldistributing.com

The stock size in my 04 mountain are 135 main jets. You cant do this mod with stock jets you will be too lean. Go to the top of any page here and click on the ty tech pages once there click on the link to stock snomobile spec.

Thanks, Sled Dog
You want to get rid of your 135's?? I think I will leave well enough alone for now and just run a stock air box.
Is there any kind of foam or screen that covers these holes to keep snow out? My airbox is sitting up in the rafters and I've never looked inside it before.
My other question is do you run this setup in the MTN's at all? I head to Valemount or McBride 2 a year. I know with my K&N's I had to drop to 150MJ to get the sled to run there.

thanks for the great info

You can order your mains through royaldistributing.com they will be a lot cheaper than ordering at yamaha. I will be keeping mine. You can use black womens nylons to put over your hood vents to keep the snow out from under your hood. Yes I have used my sled in the moutains with the stock air box and 135 mains at revelstoke and it ran ok.

i just had the air box cut open on the bottom from ted at jannetty racing i had the ecp kit with an evac kit as well and i was sick of the filters getting wet and running like crap. so i tried the air box mod and the box is working very well with no power loss. just a touch quieter. i havent checked my plugs yet since ted said put in 170 mains to replace the 165 mains but they looked rich with the filters so they will prolly be good now but ill have to check just saying the stock box is way better than wet k&n s

maverick said:
Hey SledDog!

Nice Mod!

Just wondering if you know of anyone modifing an Apex airbox? I'm considering doing something similar to my airbox on my 07 Apex. But some people are saying that will screw up the sensors that run the Fuel Injection. Any thoughts or input?

Max ;):D

Sorry but somehow I missed your post. I know a guy who bought a ram air kit for his 07 apex from ebay and its running good.

Added bonus is better gas mileage. I was always one or two bars lower than my wifes 05 rx1 now we are even and mine is a 04 mountain and I out weigh her by 100 lbs. Now you gotta like that, the gas mileage buddy not my wife. LMAO

Sounds good SledDog.
The bottom box doesnt suck in any snow? I know I have tried to stop the snow from coming in the nose but it is still there.
So real no planned place for the holes in the baffle just make it equal side to side?

Riding for a full two days there was some snow but not enough to effect the performance. Yes make it even if you are a math whiz you could figure out the the total area of each circle and then you will be dead on I basically eyeballed it drilled a hole on each side and went for a ride and then checked the plugs for leaness. I might not be dead on but its close.

So how have things been with this MOD?? We had some really fine snow last weekend froze my filters again. Lipped it home & swapped on the stock airbox. I went back out and just has fast the stock box was packed full of snow. There was snow from the front nose cone solid to the airbox opening.

I really dont know how to stop this snow from getting in?? There is foam tape in the nose area, arond the hood, all vents have mesh covering. Only thing next will be extra hood straps I guess.

Anyway just checking to see how the Modded box is working out. I already notice the difference in power with stock box to the K&N's.

I have been out for last two days now and I am not getting the kind of snow ingestion you are. Try scooping out the snow where the filters or airbox go only and leave the snow in the front. In other words use the snow thats in there to block future snow from coming in. My sled stays outside at nights so the snow in mine never melts.

Was out today and it was another flawless day but my sled did backfire once after coming off a wot for about two minutes. Sure is pulling better than what I had before. Almost pulled in an Apex with an airmod and he weighs 50 lbs less than I. With the same weight of rider I think the sled will take him. I am very happy with this mod and the clutching is bang on. This same Apex and rider left me by about 10 lengths with the K&N's and stock clutching. :jump:

Lets not forget sled dog lol. Stock mtn clutching, stock plugs, stock belt(6200Kms), and the fact my apex was popping(rev limiter) was a big power loss due to the extra foot of loose powder we got now compared to when i raced you last haha. Changing belt tonight and changing weight oon the primary which will greatly help me in top end. Definentely gotta get my rpm's in range before we meet again otherwise I'm just wasting time. I'll be back to 10 lengths before you know it! LOL :moon:

Back