• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Motor Performance

What can you do to the physical motor to get more power without completely klling the reliability issue for example(CAMs, pistons ETC)

Most production engines respond to typical tuning... porting, cams, compression, etc all can be done while retaining decent reliability.

Attachments

• 100_3078.jpg
    100_3078.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 45
it's been proven these motors are not reliable on the snowmobile side changing the cams ,pistons etc..

by the time you shell serious coin for any of the above...you can add a blower or turbo and produce more with greater reliability..

sj, I have not heard any problems with modded motors.
You really don't hear that much about modded motors because most are usually blowers or turbo. We sure have seen a lot of those motors not reliable. I do think it mostly has to do with boost greed!
Bruce

ok...maybe the problems or waste I mostly hear of is with cams...a better way of putting it is the cost of internal improvements on a normally aspirated sled isnt worth it..

These engines are highly tuned to begin with. 149 HP out of a liter sized engine that spins at 10.5 K RPM is damn good. So in my mind cams pistons etc might not be the best way to go.

But you can go NOS, turbo or supercharger and still have a reliable engine if you dont get carried away. That is where the bang for the buck is going to be

I guess that was my point...what tork said...

my next step will be either a seat mounted nitrous or hit the lottery and a mpi supercharger

Which model,motor are you talking about.
Depending on the model there is all sorts of reliable things you can do.You can get 15 hp on some models with just boldt on stuff.

pro116 said:
Depending on the model there is all sorts of reliable things you can do.You can get 15 hp on some models with just boldt on stuff.

You have to spend a lot of time and money to get an extra 15 hp out of these motors. Might as well spend the same or less to get some real horsepower and get an N2O kit.

:nos :nos :nos

I do respect what you guys are saying, but IMO it is premature. So little has been explored in the normally aspirated set-ups... although a bit high strung, these are still production engines...I know Fundy Performance has the ability to get an RX sled running close to 200hp. I'm working on my RS with a header and Flatslides to see where it can go before opening it up....

The Apex seems to like the Power Commander and timing control. Allen seems to be making some good power with just bolt ons....You're not going to add 40hp to this engine but every bit counts.

The PC and TC are also good investment pieces if you ever do go boost or nos....

stoutner said:
pro116 said:

You have to spend a lot of time and money to get an extra 15 hp out of these motors. Might as well spend the same or less to get some real horsepower and get an N2O kit.

I can get 12-14hp with an exhaust, airbox mod, plugs, PowerCaommander and Ignition Module.

DoktorC said:
The Apex seems to like the Power Commander and timing control. Allen seems to be making some good power with just bolt ons....You're not going to add 40hp to this engine but every bit counts.

The PC and TC are also good investment pieces if you ever do go boost or nos....

That's what I have and it works very well, just still deciding on maybe some more gearing changes and maybe some slight clutching changes, but I have to wait yet to see what it does on some harder snow/ice to see the true potential of it.

SledFreak said:
stoutner said:
pro116 said:

I can get 12-14hp with an exhaust, airbox mod, plugs, PowerCaommander and Ignition Module.

That's exactly what i was talking about and if you want more then get n2o.Why not get the most out of it,lol

Back